training question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgia

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a climber and about to start studying for ISA exam. After reading the "posts" for the last 60 days I believe I am completely on the same level as all of you (I agree with much of the statements and opinions). It is also easy to see that we all experience many of the same problems when we live in different parts of N. America.

However, (to get to my question) I believe I am a very good, knowledgable climber but I saw the ad in Sherrill magazine for arbormaster training. It is a program designed by Rip Tompkins. Does anyone know about program? I feel if I can expand my training and safe working practices it is worth it.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

I dunno about the Rip Tompkins course, as I learned from a couple old-timers. I can say that when I took my Certified Arborist test, they had a 1/2 day review for additional cost the day before the exam. My employer paid for it, and I believe my score was greatly improved by taking the review class. (think I scored a 94%, can't remember)
:blob2: Good Luck! Practical experience will help about as much as book smarts in this case. But you still gotta memorize some Latin names and stuff like that.

Why not call them and ask for more information or a brochure? These guys love what they do and there is a lot of information that can be gained from attending their courses. They sometimes have one-day seminars which you could attend to get a feel for their courses, though the one-day seminars are not "hands-on" like the full courses. I've heard alot of positive feedback about the courses. Their phone number is 860-429-5028. Give em a call.
-Sean

Georgia,
Have you ever thought of moving to Florida? I'd pay dearly to get a good certified arborist on my staff.

Georgia,

Another way to learn is to join the ISA and NAA and get active in the profession. Attend as amy conferences and workshops as you can. Get a free subscription to Tree Care Industry from the NAA, http://www.natlarb.com/
and Arbor Age,
http://www.greenindustry.com/aa/current/

If you have the ISA Study Guide, take the domain tests and then you will have a good idea of where to focus your study time.

Glad to hear that you will be joining the CA ranks!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Georgia! It's been over a week, got your ISA study guide yet? Heck, you have the benefit of several arborists here at your disposal if you need help preparing! :D When is the next test in your area?

Hi Brian!

No I have not received it yet. How did you send it email? Do you need my home address. I appreciate your enthusiam and willingness to help me.

Maybe I don't understand your question now that I think about it.

Thanks,

Steve

I didn't send one, I haven't seen one in years. I figgered you got ISA to send you one. And a schedule for testing in your area. When I took mine they had testing 2x in central Florida that year. I drove to Cocoa to take the test (45 miles).

Brian,

When you said study guide I thought you meant some synopsis of how to study for the exam or something. You meant study materials. Yes I do have the study materials I just need to schedule the test.

I am finishing my undergrad degree at night so I have little study time for ISA. However, I am sure I will take it sometime over the winter.

Thanks again

Steve

Latest posts

Back