Transplanted Oak Thin - Is it OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miner31

Reaction score
Hello,
We had a fairly established (5-6" trunk) oak transplanted last Fall 2019. The leaves were turning and most had fallen when it was transplanted so we didn't get to see what it was like pre-plant.

I know very little about trees, but it appears have very sparse foliage and lacking vigor. On a lot of branches the leaves are only at the ends of the branches however there are some new smaller leaves growing from the trunk. The leaves that are there look healthy to my eye. Our soil in the Red River Valley is very heavy and clay like but I don't believe it's been over watered.

1. Is this a normal look for an Oak this age?
2. Does this look like there could be a potential problem that needs to be addressed?
3. Options to help the tree pick up and fill out?

thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 15
Thank you Steve. I plan on pruning the dead branches, but i've read it's best not to do it in the heat of Summer. Is that true, or would it be OK to prune those off now?

Looks like Oak wilt is a long ways away from Fargo. Anything east and south of you, I'd say no growing season pruning on oak.

That looks like "normal" transplant stress for a tree that big. Keep it watered, but not too wet and all should be good. On oak transplants, I always do imidacloprid soil treatment to keep two-lined Chestnut borer at Bay for the first couple of years...

Back