Transporting and Conserving Yellow Birch Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Woodapple

Philistine
Reaction score
Hello dear people,

I'm new to the business of trees and I'm already facing some issues trying to build up my wood passion.

I'm having yellow birch trees shipped from within the US and I need them to reach me here in Kansas in green wood state. I need guidance regarding the state of the trees for shipping, the maximum time that they can stay in transit and how I can store them so they would keep their green wood state until I move on to manufacturing lumbers.

I've browsed the internet and some say take off the bark, some say now. There is use of plastic or some shelter. I'm out of my wits and need reliable sources and advice since it'll be costly.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any insight, documentation or experience

Why do you want them green? Why do you want Yellow birch? (wondering if there are other solutions to get what you ultimately want...)

Assuming you need green Yellow birch:
*The ends should be painted as soon as they are cut. Anchorseal is the product of choice for this.
*What time of year do you need them? If you need them in the summer, can you put them under a sprinkler?

Good morning ATH, thank you for your response.

-I need them green for research purposes. Yellow birch (or at worst river birch) for the same reason.

I will need them for February or March at most.

How big of logs? I've processed stuff that has been logs for 2-3 years and it's still green.

Then you just need to make sure the ends are sealed and that they are on the truck within 2-3 days of being cut.
Thank you ATH. Any specific protection for the transit?

How big of logs? I've processed stuff that has been logs for 2-3 years and it's still green.
Logs of a diameter 14-18 inches and at least 60 inches long, and 120 inches .

A tarp (or perhaps an enclosed truck or trailer for small logs like that) would help keep them dry, but I don't know that is necessary.

Might be a good idea to have somebody take the MC of a fresh cut tree then you cut an inch or two off the end and check the MC as soon as you get them to see how much it changed. There is bound to be some change...how much is acceptable is something you need to determine. Also worth documenting that change just to make sure you cover as many variables as possible in your research.

A tarp (or perhaps an enclosed truck or trailer for small logs like that) would help keep them dry, but I don't know that is necessary.

Might be a good idea to have somebody take the MC of a fresh cut tree then you cut an inch or two off the end and check the MC as soon as you get them to see how much it changed. There is bound to be some change...how much is acceptable is something you need to determine. Also worth documenting that change just to make sure you cover as many variables as possible in your research.

Great idea ATH! I will ask for the MC and have extra data this way.

Brilliant. Thank you folks for the help! I'm, as I stated before, with milk teeth in the wood business and would like to expand my knowledge and polish my understanding. I really want this first experience to be as detailed and thorough as possible.

Back