Trash panda

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The weather has absolutely sucked here lately for carving, and I've run out of wood for now.
I decided to dig through the snow in my cut off pile where I also chuck all the carvings that didn't go according to plan and see if I could come up with something to play with.
I found one of my first ever chubby bears in there and decided to give him a makeover before someone accidently discovered him in there and started asking any stupid questions like "who made THAT",lol.
I'll have to see what else I have in there that could use recuing!
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0112.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG
DSC_0140.JPG
DSC_0141.JPG

I like those coons! And the bear! I was gona start a thread and see what u were up to. I think I’m going to try and carve a weed leaf today out of a 3” thick 20” or so wide Fir slab

Thanks man!
I thought the bear sucked so I went ahead with transforming him into the coon and I'm a little happier with him now. I should be able to sell him now pretty easily this spring.
I'm glad you mentioned your slabs as it reminded me of a few I have left out there somewhere under all the snow. Might try to dig one of those out today and crank out a quick relief carve of some kind myself this afternoon.
I might have to start making a few of your fish thumpers as well if I can't come up with some more wood soon.
Post up that weed leaf when you get 'er done..., and might I recommend a light burn for the finish,lol

Well, I tried to start a new carve on one of my beech slabs, but it was infested with hibernating carpenter ants and riddled with tunnels throughout. I should be able to pick up another quality log tomorrow and start on my next project.
I did at least get the saws cleaned and snapped a quick shot of the coon in some better light.
DSC_0162.JPG

Looks good. How much u gona ask for him? Reminds me to do some studying how to keep the bugs off the slabs. Mine are all inside for now. What’s your milling saw and setup?

I'll probably ask $75-$80 for this one. The learning experience testing a new critter design was more valuable to me than the actual piece. As I improve on a more realistic design the price will go up.
I don't have a milling set up right now, so just free hand slabbing with my 18" MS250.
It does alright with the size logs I have access to. Just can't justify a big saw purchase for what I'm doing right now. Maybe some day I'll get into some bigger projects and I'll pick something up that can handle that kind of work.

Back