traverse from tree to tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled this from another thread as it really has to do with tree to tree traverse.
I have set up this double throw line retrieval for use when setting my line to another tree. A hook can be set on one line while the throw bag is set on the other. Letting line out and bringing line in at the same time becomes a tangle free zone.
Thanks 2treeornot2tree, I appreciate the suggestion. I think the Pflueger Automatic Fly Reel is one of the popular choices. Unfortunately I have more experience with a chalk-line than a fly fishing reel. :msp_biggrin: Actually I have found this set up to be very effective for me. I did recently add a lanyard to it so that I can now attach it to my neck lanyard. I have been doing tree to tree transfers, so far up to 35' apart, setting my line from one tree to the next. What I like about this is that I can push the handle in on one, letting out line, while I am winding line in from the other at the same time. This creates my loop to the other tree so that I can then feed my climb line.
Just to keep some continuity to this thread. Now if I could use some slingshot to set my line in another tree I could use all 50' of my line in the chalk-line.

Link to photo of transfer from oak to pine.

Added my lanyard.
ReelPlusLanyard.jpg

Last edited:
What are you attempting to do....
I don't know if I will be able to do it but I am trying to go from one end of a property to the other, about 250', without setting any lines from the ground but the first one and without touching the ground until the end.

You should be aware of the side force you're placing on both trees by attempting to pull yourself from one tree to another. Depending on the species of tree, you could snap off one of your tips, and end up doing the Tarzan thing, with part of a tree hanging from your harness.
Indeed.

Here's a few thoughts.

Dan Kraus devised a way to attach the grapnel to the throwline by using a short tether
to install a solo traverse line at the Seattle Funclimb on January 21, 2001. (See Part 2 of this climb report:Treedr.com - Redwood Climb)

A loop of line about six-eight inches long is girthed to the eye of the grapnel. Tie the string to the throwline, leaving the grapnel dangling. Then lower the thowline the rest of the way to the other side of the chasm. The extra length of the dangler will allow the hook to pendulum around behind the tree stem and hook the throwline more easily. This allows clearance away from the trunk to prevent the strands of the throwline from snagging. Voila!

For a discussion about irretreivable jam knots, see the photos & description of the various people who have climbed the 336' Ralph Stearns Dyer Redwood tree in the CD-ROM called A Tree Story.

This document is the best kept secret in the tree climbing world. It cannot be downloaded, it actually costs money to buy & ship by postal carrier, but is well worth it. The Stearns is shown in the 4th line down, 4th photo from the left of this link:http://www.atreestory.com/grafs/CD-Main-Page.pdf

A 1987 version of the story of using a jam knot to climb the Stearns is over at: Treedr.com - Redwood Climb This version is also available in Spanish, in the Proceedings of the 3rd Spanish Arboriculture Conference.

The last bit to contribute to this discussion of traverses is a 2008 video of a traverse at 180' from the Bogachiel Spruce to an adjacent tree, called the BS2. 2 parallel traverse lines are strung, one for feet, the other for hands or pulley.

The video does not show how the lines were installed, which was by conventional means. There were climbers in each tree.
Video:

[video=youtube_share;xRMDkUu0pds]http://youtu.be/xRMDkUu0pds[/video]

Of course, Will Koomjian & Brian French's video of their traverse project is elegantly relevant. I'll leave it to someone else to post that link.

Enjoy !

I don't know if I will be able to do it but I am trying to go from one end of a property to the other, about 250', without setting any lines from the ground but the first one and without touching the ground until the end.

For me this is the future of rec climbing. I would like to start at a spot in the woods at dawn and see how far I can go horizontally through the canopy in one day without touching ground. So far I'm just doing short routes through several trees. Solo is particularly challenging, you have to think through every move carefully, if you hang your rope you could have serious issues getting back to the ground if you're up high. With a team of two there's a lot more flexibilty and "rescue" is always at hand if you get a rope hung. Team of three is probably ideal, especially if you're in big conifer forest, just to carry all the rope you'll need to get around.
-AJ

For me this is the future of rec climbing. I would like to start at a spot in the woods at dawn and see how far I can go horizontally through the canopy in one day without touching ground. So far I'm just doing short routes through several trees. Solo is particularly challenging, you have to think through every move carefully, if you hang your rope you could have serious issues getting back to the ground if you're up high. With a team of two there's a lot more flexibilty and "rescue" is always at hand if you get a rope hung. Team of three is probably ideal, especially if you're in big conifer forest, just to carry all the rope you'll need to get around.
-AJ
That is spot on for me as well moss. Let me know when you do it, I would be happy to film the event with my new camera.:smile2:

It is my first video and nothing like yours but I thought I would post it anyway.
It is hard to keep in mind that I am filming and will work on head movement etc in the future.

[video=youtube;6MXsEvK6fI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MXsEvK6fI8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Traverse between two pines, SRT, DdRT, Unicender.

Video of my last traverse.

Two adjacent pine trees about 25 feet apart, canopy anchor about 85-90 feet set with Bigshot, advanced SRT on Unicender, advanced TIP for the traverse, set traverse with false crotch, DdRT with Unicender and advanced to other pine with DdRT, VT and Hitchclimber pulley. I was going to traverse from there to a nearby oak but the wind started to blow and the tree I was in had a defect (probably a lighting strike years ago) that was not making me feel comfortable.

[video=youtube;nuOtw2dJsiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuOtw2dJsiY[/video]

Cool stuff -- but what about getting into a hazard tree from higher rigging in a sound tree? My technique on the fir below (probably 3 - 5 years dead) was to push off from the pine I was tied in, grab a dead limb, and pull myself hand over hand to the trunk of the fir. If the branch broke, I figured I would try another. What I DID NOT want to do (even at the level of experience i had several years ago) was tie in to that dead fir. Got lucky, branch didn't break.

At the fir, I just put my flip line around a stub for a fast get away while I pulled up a bull rope and tied it to the tree.

View attachment 275725View attachment 275726View attachment 275727

Cool stuff -- but what about getting into a hazard tree from higher rigging in a sound tree? ...........
In the case of this recreational climb I could have maintained the friction saver I had on the departing, very sound tree, left a butterfly knot with a biner thru it and enough tail in the climb line plus add some throw line to assure it reached the ground, then treated the other tree as a simple re-direct and descended SRT. This way I would not have been attached to this tree and I could still recover my climbing line once on the ground. I inspected the tree from the ground with binoculars and felt confident about it, until the wind started to blow and it gave me the...........
But you make a good point and that would be a good discussion, to clip-in or not to clip-in when dealing with dead tree removals. There was a discussion about "break-away" lanyards, again, not too recreational.

The throwline technique Beastmaster described is what I do, I know the technique as "The Dangle". I demonstrate in this video, I'm primarily demonstrating a custom slingshot to make the throw to perform the Dangle but if you have a clear enough path you can throw by hand. Reality in woods situations is there's very rarely a clear path so some type of throwing device is really helpful:
https://vimeo.com/26036153

I'm setting a single rope traverse in the video but the technique can be used for a DRT traverse as well. That was the first time I set a solo single rope traverse up high so you get to enjoy my nervousness going over ;-)

Here are some drawings showing the technique:
A. Traverse setting technique | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

-AJ

Dude, thanks for the video and illustrations. It has helped me a lot. Where do I get a little grappling hook and how much do they go for?

Ahh, to be back...

I haven't logged in to AS in a long, long time. Fun thread to read. Good stuff for sure. I love my yella grapple from NT, whether traversing from one tree to another or one side of a large tree to the other it's great. Had it since it first came out (I think the previous version was blue?)

Moss, good to see you're still innovating and educating. Would love to get up to your area and climb again some day, just hasn't been in the cards of late. -Dave

Latest posts

Back