Tree advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aura Marina Harvey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello-I am in need of some advice. I have two walnut trees that are 8-10 years old. This season they did not for any buds on existing branches. Some baby branches are growing on existing branches. There is no visible damage/disease on the trunk or existing branches. Every season they have produced plentiful walnuts and lush foliage including last season. This past year I stored my patio set close to under the trees definitely under their canopies. Our winter was very wet and snowy with a looonnngg winter/spring. Did I kill my trees in doing this are they dying? Will they rebound next year? Please help. I am heartbroken. I will try to upload pics. Thanks

Your patio set being stored under your trees did not contribute to the decline of your trees unless it was cleaned with a harsh cleaner under the drip line of the trees prior to being put into use this year.

I usually see it on larger trees, more cankers on the stems. But there may have been some dieback last year that just wasn't noticeable to a casual observer. It may live a couple more years. Like so many fungal pathogens, I wouldn't be surprised if it is made worse by excessively wet weather.

I usually see it on larger trees, more cankers on the stems. But there may have been some dieback last year that just wasn't noticeable to a casual observer. It may live a couple more years. Like so many fungal pathogens, I wouldn't be surprised if it is made worse by excessively wet weather.
Is there any way to combat this butternut canker?

I had no clue about that. I just use regular Scott’s fertilizer stuff.

It is all on the label.

In the biz for over 30 years. I've seen hundreds of homeowners harm their trees with herbicides.

Often I've read the label directly off of the product they used, right there in their garage. The just didn't know.

Latest posts

Back