Tree distance for oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marks

Reaction score
Hello. We are building a pool. The edge of the pool will come to within about 2-3 ft of a 15-20 ft oak tree. First question is will the tree die from being that close and how long will that take? Second question is if the answer to the first question is yes how much further away from the tree do I need to build. I can't move it very far but if, let's say, for every foot the tree lives an additional 5 years or something like that, that would be good to know.
Thank you so much. But really would hate for this beautiful oak to be cut down or die.

General rule of thumb is 5x trunk diameter. Example 24"dbh trunk x 5 =10ft. I would use this as a minimum. I would look into a root barrier as well because of the future problems you will have as the tree grows.
Best thing you can do is have a consulting arborist come on site and write recommendations for you and the construction company.

FWIW...My concerns would be leaves,twigs, and acorns could be a PITA to clean all the time. Also the roots would likely stress crack the wall in a realitive short time. I assume you are talking in ground pool. Any chance to have the tree relocated?

Thanks. I am not sure about moving it. I am not sure I have space and I expect that is incredibly expensive.

General rule of thumb is 5x trunk diameter. Example 24"dbh trunk x 5 =10ft. I would use this as a minimum. I would look into a root barrier as well because of the future problems you will have as the tree grows.
Best thing you can do is have a consulting arborist come on site and write recommendations for you and the construction company.
Thank you.

Cutting a portion of the roots will not likely kill the tree. Certainly don't pile dirt on the tree...that often causes more problems on construction jobs than the root cutting. The suggestion to call an arborist is a good one (but maybe some of us are biased :) )

The pool will be 2-3' from the trunk? That's not much. Pruning roots now and branches forever is what'll be required.

Cant say more without pics.

At 2 to 3 feet you are going to face an ongoing maintenance challenge. I would remove the tree and then plant what I really want at least 20 feet away from all obstacles.

FWIW...My concerns would be leaves,twigs, and acorns could be a PITA to clean all the time. Also the roots would likely stress crack the wall in a realitive short time. I assume you are talking in ground pool. Any chance to have the tree relocated?
My silver maple is about 12-15 feet away from our above the ground pool. So many leaves and seeds in the pool recently. Major pain in the azz. Constantly running the vacuum and emptying the seeds out of the strainers. Love the tree but considering the idea of giving it a pretty serious haircut...,

I had 4 Hackberry's overhanging mine and the pool went. It wasn't worth the effort to keep it clean. I had figured on cleaning leaves and twigs, but not bugs and birdcrap!!

I've owned 4 different pools. Trust me when I tell you, you don't want a tree anywhere near a pool. Decide what is more important to you, the tree or the pool. If the decision is pool, cut the tree down. You will not be able to keep up with the pool in the spring and fall and in the summer you will shade your pool when sun is desired. Trees and pools go together like beer and ice cream. You can do it but you have to live with the mess.

I had 4 Hackberry's overhanging mine and the pool went. It wasn't worth the effort to keep it clean. I had figured on cleaning leaves and twigs, but not bugs and birdcrap!!
I agree completely. Set our pool up late last summer. Opened early this year. The birds did create a full blown mess. Also the seeds from the silver maple nearby have the filter all jacked up

You don't want a tree that close to a pool. Too much stuff in the pool. I had 2 trees to the west of my pool (a ways away, maybe 80 to 100 feet). Pool guy said you will want to cut those trees down because of shade late in the day. When you get out of the pool late in the day you want sunshine, not shade. I thought he was nuts (I'm a tree guy, I know better). They are both gone now.

This Oak tree shades the back deck of our place we rent. We want to keep it at all costs. This cavity was revealed when trimmed a huge green wrapping vine from it that was holding in the large rotten chunk of the tree filling this cavity. It fell out and revealed copious cockroaches and a few frogs. Anything I should do to help strengthen, clean it out, treat it, etc?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435410580499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435410580499.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
My opinion is maybe 3 feet might be sufficient. Roots of oaks do not spread laterally like pines. I'd dig a trench up to the tree and once you encounter roots of say greater than 1/2-3/4" in diameter then make that your limit. I'd put a barrier between the tree and the future plaster wall of pool.

My opinion is maybe 3 feet might be sufficient. Roots of oaks do not spread laterally like pines. I'd dig a trench up to the tree and once you encounter roots of say greater than 1/2-3/4" in diameter then make that your limit. I'd put a barrier between the tree and the future plaster wall of pool.
Welcome to AS :).

You realize it's 2020 lol.
The OP hasn't been here since June 2015.

You don't want a tree that close to a pool. Too much stuff in the pool. I had 2 trees to the west of my pool (a ways away, maybe 80 to 100 feet). Pool guy said you will want to cut those trees down because of shade late in the day. When you get out of the pool late in the day you want sunshine, not shade. I thought he was nuts (I'm a tree guy, I know better). They are both gone now.
So you cut down the tree and took out the pool guy for being right :cool::laughing:.
I was just out by your place last evening :hi:, hope all is well.

Back