Tree Entry Problems Sparked A New Approach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jbird,

Were you climbing in your Columbus days?

I've driven past the Goodale Park on occasion I realize it has mature trees, but I've never closely survey it for climbs.

I'm currently climbing about 12 miles north up the Olentangy near the 270/315 interchange.

Contact me the next time that you're in town.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Illustration of Releasing the Weight

The attached photo illustrates how the climber releases the weight from the line in a sweeping motion. When hopelessly trapped in a fork, the same release mechanism occurs. Otherwise this weight can be thrown multiple times and pulled through crotches as shown in the photo.

An Inexpensive Improvisation to the Releasable Throw Weight

This evening I made a releasable throw weight from an old sock. It proves the point that inexpensive alternatives exist to some of the gear that we use.

More importantly, these hand throw devices need to be retrievable. Why are we paying upwards to $20 to watch a weight become stuck in a tree?

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Jbird,

Ok, I'll buy some Zing-it! As we departed our climb this past April, I was left convinced that nylon throwlines weren't the way to go. The throw sock concept salvaged my nylon lines; it over came their deficiencies. I still have some of the same lines from that April climb.

What I like about the throw sock concept is that a trip to a local hardware store and fabric store will keep me equipped. Arbrorist stores just aren't on every corner.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Back