Tree fall help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kuhn

Hobby Repairman
Reaction score
There are two dead trees in the picture below. They're across the street from my house. I need advice on the one on the left. The one in the middle-left of the picture can fall any way it cares to and it won't hit anything. It needs to come down first. The fence between them is falling down on it's own, so it won't be a problem. The problem is in getting the dead evergreen on the left to fall to the right and not to the left into the brown house or into the background into the gazebo or into the evergreen next to it that's alive or into the shed hiding behind a privacy fence.

1590067604760.png

I repair saws and my neighbors know it. I'm anticipating they're going to ask for help, so I'd like to be ready. Thanks to you experts in advance.

Oh, and both of my neighbors are cheap-skates so paying an expert isn't an option, unless you all say it's the only way. But there's always a way, right?

Also know I grew up on a farm and am not afraid to tackle a problem, as long as we can stay safe.

If there are no obstacles other than the fence and the neighbor's house (i.e. no power lines, etc) then it seems that a pull line and a couple of wedges should get the job done. Is there another problem we can't see in the picture? Is there enough space to drop the dead evergreen if the other tree is already down? Is there a back lean to overcome?

I like an open-faced notch for keeping the trunk on the stump (i.e. guided by the hinge) for as long as possible during the fall.

Jeff Jepson's book "To Fell A Tree" has plenty of good ideas for a situation like this.

IMO - Dead pine tree does not need a professional. Looks like it can be taken whole straight the middle dead tree/cameras location.

It DOES however, need a person that knows proper directional falling techniques. Get the fence out of the way, get the tree in the middle of the picture out of the way, and send that pine tree right at the stump. Unless there's significant back lean(which it doesn't look like but it's not a great picture), it should go with wedges no problem. A pull rope might not be a bad idea though. Since it's dead however, don't be pulling on it like crazy. You can break the top out of it.

The problem is in getting the dead evergreen on the left to fall to the right and not to the left into the brown house or into the background into the gazebo or into the evergreen next to it that's alive or into the shed hiding behind a privacy fence.
With that many targets and your uncertainty my first thought is about insurance. If you would be felling as a favor to a neighbor and receiving nothing at all in return, your homeowner's liability coverage might cover any damage that would result from your prospective act of generosity, but would you want to take the risk of having a claim made and seeing your insurance premiums go up?

Excellent help there fellas. We'll see where this leads. Would go after that tree in the middle of the picture readily. The pine on the left is causing me to pause. One step at a time. Thanks for the help.

Talked with the owner of the pine about my helping him and he said when he takes the dead one down, he's going to take them all down. Seems like a good plan. If he's going to pay to have experts come out and do it, presumably with a machine to lower them to the ground, he might as well take them all down. He doesn't like how much room they take up in his yard.

Looking for a chance to talk to the other owner next. I'd really like to take that one down for him. It's more my size. I asked him last year and it wasn't dead enough for him. Hah.

Back