ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Tree hung up on other trees.

Discussion in 'Tree Care Videos' started by Allar, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Allar

Allar ArboristSite Member

I knew this tree was going to get hung up, there was no question about it. The real question was, where to fell it, so it makes as minimal damage to the other trees as possible. Overal, no real damage was done, so i'm quite happy with the outcome.

Also the shower of snow, made me blind for a few seconds :laugh:

The felling lever is such a useful tool, every homeowner should own one.

capetrees, avason and chipper1 like this.
  2. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

Nice video, like the husky.
    So is this all being cut for firewood. Do you haul it back and then buck it to length, how long.
    Couldn't you have used the lever earlier on.
    Brett

3. Allar

Thanks.

Yeah it's going to be firewood. I buck my trees in the forest to 45cm ~ 17.7'' and throw em into a pile. I'll haul them out once the snow is melted.

Yeah i could have used the lever earler and i usually do. But because i was recording and not everyone have the lever, i decided to use the most common approach.

chipper1 likes this.
  4. chipper1

Thanks for the response.
    I was asking about where you buck them up at because I see guys give those of us the states a hard time cutting off the ground higher. I understand cutting lower to get a log out if the butt section, but not when it's firewood. I like to cut them higher so I'm able to see exactly what I'm doing without bending over, then I will come back and flush cut the stump. When I do my felling cuts I just make sure I'm leaving enough for one nice round below them.

5. Allar

Well i'm working on my own forest, so i doubt that anyone else besides me cares if i leave too high stumps or not.

i love low stumps, i even changed my felling technique to get lower stumps. I used to make angled cut first but it was harder to guess what the stump height gonna be and i often had high stumps.
    So now i make the straight cut first, which lets me set the stump hight right away.

I do have to bend over on my knee to make that low stump but it's not an issue for me.

But whenever i can't make a low stump, i do use the same technique by leaving enough wood for another round.

chipper1 likes this.
  6. chipper1

I like them left low too unless there will be a piece of equipment coming behind me, then I leave them two rounds high.
    I like to flush cut the last round straight across back barring, then no wedges are needed as the chips fill the void if the stum is wider than the bar or I pull the bar out a little as I go around it.
    Nice to have a great piece of property like that, beautiful land there :).

Allar likes this.
  7. 560Dennis

560Dennis ArboristSite Lurker

What bar size? ,model is the Husky ? I know little about the newer saws , I got a old McCulloch.thinking seriously about up grading . Thanks
    I have a dead ash widow maker just like what you did with your saw to do. Thanks for the video .

Allar likes this.
  8. Allar

It's a Husqvarna 545 with a 15'' bar. What i love about this and newer saws is that they have such a good power and weight ratio and because of the autotune/m-tronic you will never need to mess around with the carburetor. Also newer saws are so much easier on your body. Be safe!