Tree ID and decision advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mncutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This tree came with our house purchased in the spring. Picture is from earlier this fall in Minnesota. Looks like someone cut it off and now there are a couple shoots. I don’t know what the growths on it might be either. Any hope of it becoming a decent tree?

Attachments

• 07C34E4B-BD25-4105-A16F-A214859166A1.jpeg
    07C34E4B-BD25-4105-A16F-A214859166A1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
  • C203ADD9-A031-4800-ADCA-087B8DCE4C3A.jpeg
    C203ADD9-A031-4800-ADCA-087B8DCE4C3A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
Thanks for the information, I hadn’t known about galls before. Sorry I don’t have better photos, leaves are totally off by now. My wife doesn’t like the tree and wants me to cut it down (I assume the previous owner had already done that given the stump).

Should I grant her wish or try to save this tree? I could prune off the branches that are heavily infested, would that be worth doing?

Thanks for the information, I hadn’t known about galls before. Sorry I don’t have better photos, leaves are totally off by now. My wife doesn’t like the tree and wants me to cut it down (I assume the previous owner had already done that given the stump).

Should I grant her wish or try to save this tree? I could prune off the branches that are heavily infested, would that be worth doing?

It is a very poor specimen.

I'd cut it low and mow over it.

That is a Bur oak. Quercus macrocarpa

I'd cut one stem and let the other go.

It may or may not have galls for life, but they won't hurt the tree. Note they are ON the twig, not AROUND the twig. That matters. Gouty oak and Horned oak galls both go around the twig and girdle twigs. These won't do that.

Back