Tree ID by leaves...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of those leaves look like Tuliptree seeds. No idea on the other ones. Maybe Honey locust leaflets.

Two of those leaves look like Tuliptree seeds. No idea on the other ones. Maybe Honey locust leaflets.

I agree with the Tuliptree seeds. The other ones could be either honey or black locust leaflets. Either that or Kentucky Coffee tree. I can't tell enough about the bark in the second pic to be sure what that is, but the form of the tree reminds me of the coffee tree....

Locust. I have one growing in my front yard that's a thornless variety. The tiny leaves give it away in addition to the bark. The wood is as dense as oak. Amazing stuff, it splits rather easily and grows rather fast. Takes about a year to dry and is very rot resistant. The only time I ever overloaded my pickup truck was when I filled it with green locust, packed tight. The engine thought it was carrying concrete.

Yup, honey locust.

Be thankful it's the thornless variety!
You don't like processing this?upload_2018-4-17_6-54-55.jpegupload_2018-4-17_6-55-12.jpegupload_2018-4-17_6-55-30.jpeg
images

I made this wood carver's mallet using walnut for the handle and locust for the head:
View attachment 647133
Then I made another more common mallet that I use in my shop, once again by using walnut for the handle and locust for the head:
View attachment 647135
I made these about 10 years ago. They are in use today. Locust is tough stuff.

Nice work!

Bit of advice for the woorburners. If you don't farm, get to know your local farmers. Locust is prefered for a lot of fencing. Low rot rate. Buy when it goes, it rots at ground level with the rest still solid. Too short to keep to reuse.

I heated my house all last year when I replaced the sheeps' cordon; also volunteered to help a neighbor with his fence. He was going to haul perfectly good wood to the dump. It looked like **** from the outside but it was damn solid after maybe a millimeter. He was so happy I took the 'waste' wood away, his wife made me a blueberry pie with native NH berries.

Back