Tree ID help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1974D3D5-9F68-4A40-BDCB-CD44EA49629B.jpeg A0944E3C-C4CA-489B-9D9E-9D34699B6BB2.jpeg The wood has an interesting odor when cut. There is a species of caterpillar that eat the leaves off the ones I have every year. They make really good fishing bait. I don’t get the bean looking things every year though. That is one behind the cab of my truck. You can see where the big limb was cut and the new growth is only a few years old . The other pic is that highly prized caterpillar.

View attachment 748734 View attachment 748735 The wood has an interesting odor when cut. There is a species of caterpillar that eat the leaves off the ones I have every year. They make really good fishing bait. I don’t get the bean looking things every year though. That is one behind the cab of my truck. You can see where the big limb was cut and the new growth is only a few years old . The other pic is that highly prized caterpillar.
My step father told me that I should leave the tree and harvest the catalpa worms for catfish bait since we live by the lake.

That is really nice work, my tree is not large enough to harvest yet. I walked through my property and also down to the lake to find any other trees but couldn’t find any. That little tree is the only one I have near me. I do like the set of drawer fronts you made, very cool!

I will check it out. That tree is probably the worst looking tree near my house, it has suffered many ice storms worth of damage and was always not a priority. It grew back and survived and looks horrible. I plan on cutting it down because I want to clear out it and other broken and damaged trees so I can eventually have slate brought in for a garage base. We had an ice storm in 2008 that destroyed a lot of tree tops in our forested area next to the lake and have been dealing with the damage caused by water and the opportunistic ants for years. Hard to to keep up with it all!

Back