Tree ID please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyrano138

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This was my second removal. My first was easy -- a laurel oak, but this one is harder for me. I'm new to this. At first I thought the leaves were opposite simple (and lanceolate?), but now I think they might be even pinnately compound. I'm not honestly sure how to tell the difference between leaflets on a rachis and leaves on a stem. I hope the photos do it some justice. My best guess is some kind of ash, but ash are odd pinnately compound. Still, it would stand to reason at least in the sense that I noticed climbing this tree that the wood is extremely springy. I hated to cut it down but a few branches had broken off in the last hurricane and the owner retaliated by lopping off several large branches using flush cuts. Anyway, he wanted it gone. The tree was in Sarasota Florida, in the central region of the state and my books on trees say ash only really occurs in the norther region. Any help would be appreciated. The owner insists it's a ficus but it's my understanding that ficus trees, around here at least, have alternate leaves and many have areal roots.

Also i included a picture of the insects living in the center of the trunk. Are they termites or beetle larvae, or something else?

Finally, kind of curious how much you guys would have charged for this removal. I figured it at 600 dollars, but I wound up doing it for free. It took me about 8 hours to get it all down to the ground with the help of an inexperienced ground guy. Probably really slow for all you guys but I was being super cautious because the springy wood had me jumping at my own shadow, and I didn't climb as high as I normally would have.

mHrHRWx.jpg

Bc9ZpWQ.jpg

L641KGg.jpg

I really appreciate any help you all can offer. Thanks!

Jack

All the Laurus varieties I found images of have alternate leaf patterns. But am I getting too hung up on the leaf pattern?

Back