Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen L Cawthon JR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
20161220_162610.jpg 20161220_162714.jpg 20161220_162624.jpg I live in Central Arkansas. I had someone ask me to remove this tree that had fallen/uprooted. I can't quite figure out what it is.

Trying to search for photos of similar wood, but not having any luck. I even tried to find some of the boxelder, but nothing was close that I could find.

Not box elder...in the 1st pic you can see it is ring porous. Box elder is not. It looks like you can see some pretty clear rays on the bottom right of pic 1 - which would make it very likely oak. Not much to go by there with the bark, but what I see I'd go with black oak....unless I see something to change that I'm gonna stick with it.

If you can get a clear close up of the end grain it would be helpful. Also turn pic 3 clockwise about 45 degrees to show a better view of the bark.

That is some beautiful staining...I'd bet you could sell some turning blanks off of that pretty easily (assuming it is solid)

Nearly all of it has been cut for firewood. I still have just a few more feet to cut and should be able to get a few better pics tomorrow. I just need to make sure it oak or some hardwood that will be good firewood. I don't want to tell someone they are getting something that they are not.

That's blackjack oak. You'll find it in poor, sandy soil. A small to medium size oak.

After working on that tree you'll come home looking like you've been in a fight with a cat . . . and lost.

Fine for firewood yes.

From a tree standpoint, zone lines from Reaction Zones are also visible. The Barrier Zone was likely breached asnthe discoloration moved out the the bark and sapwood in some spots. Accounts for the inconsistencies in the colors and shapes of the ripewood or heartwood.

May not be good for lumber or carpentry, depends on the fungi present and extent of degradation. Does look pretty though.

Yes, it is for the most part in very good shape. if I had a sawmill, I would have made some boards from it. However, I do not and I am selling firewood, so I just wanted to make sure it was going to be good for that. Thank you

ID help needed I bought a load of mixed hardwood logs and I would like to know what this wood is
acd98dd2fbe47fbfe1c65cc78e25ce7f.jpg
1d852ee86a5e80a60e2ced2dcc6428bb.jpg
c43ad34b4d038bb09ad00e94c646e0cc.jpg
c652920749d7fef7a0b622f0285d9037.jpg
a60c7932dd6471e78633bf367f5cb8f5.jpg

On the first tree Separate out the soft pieces and burn them first. If it sets for a year that fungus may rot out quite a bit of the wood pile. The second tree looks like a beech.

Back