Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Started a new thread on a post made in "scrounging".

Help identifying this tree at the log yard. Lt. Gray bark. The bark peeled off when fresh cut exposing a pale lemon yellow surface. Fades as seen in first photo.
Heartwood is a light brown (this is wet). Smells kind of sweet when I cut a chunk off. Don't know if it's maple; none like I've seen. Pretty heavy too although it's wet.

Attachments

• IMG_9472.JPG
    IMG_9472.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9473.JPG
    IMG_9473.JPG
    879.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9474.JPG
    IMG_9474.JPG
    652.8 KB · Views: 38
No, no not Cherry. I've cut cherry and this isn't it.

True, the pictures are deceiving. Cherry bark is more black. This is a silvery gray. The scales of the bark does look like Cherry, though. And I shouldn't have used the photo of the heartwood. That was fresh cut and looks a little red like Cherry. It dried to a dull brown. I was hoping the yellow characteristic would jog someone's memory.

The first pic had me thinking silver maple. The second and third pic had me thinking cherry.

I could not edit my original post to remove the wet end grain photo and replace with this dry photo. actual color is more brown than red. As I said, definitely not Cherry (2nd photo - for color comparison).IMG_9482.JPGIMG_9223.JPG
The bark is very similar to the silver maple at the log yard, only bigger scales.

End grain doesn't look right for cherry. Also not silver maple. Here is a photo of KCT split and bark.
I agree with you. I think you've got it right. I'm going to cut a bowl blank out of it today, so I'll get a look at the grain today.

Not Honey Locust. True bark is similar, but HL has more red on end grain.

BTW is it any good for firewood?

Back