Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The logs seem to be hard and heavy when green. These trees seem to be popping up everywhere in my yard. 1 is real close to my house and I may take it down before it gets bigger. They seem to be fast growing and have big leaves.
20200809_154038.jpg
20200809_154045.jpg
20200809_154524.jpg
20200809_154535.jpg

So I think shagbark is the winner. Should I be cutting these trees down to get rid of them or let them grow while I get through the ash tree crisis? After all these dead ash trees, I have been very cautious about trees and letting them grow near anything important. Im 31 and will need firewood in 10 years after I've burned all my ash trees. I have many other species of trees but they are all softer than ash.

The logs seem to be hard and heavy when green. These trees seem to be popping up everywhere in my yard. 1 is real close to my house and I may take it down before it gets bigger. They seem to be fast growing and have big leaves.
View attachment 847440
View attachment 847441
View attachment 847442
View attachment 847443
It could be Hickory.
If so I wouldn't say it's a fast growing tree. Most hardwoods grow slow.
Have any pics of the seeds/nuts/fruit of it?
That make be the clincher to identification.

Idk maybe they aren't fast growing but I noticed a lot of them this year. Maybe the bark is finally showing its character. Here's a picture of another one in my yard.
20200810_155440.jpg
20200810_155449.jpg
They all look like straight stees with symmetrical shape to them and lots of big leaves. If it is actually hickory then I will be cutting up some of the small tree I cut down for smoking wood this winter. Usually i use these small cherry trees that grow in the pines.

Oh yeah that’s Hickory, I love to burn it when it gets really cold. Although the bugs seem to love it , I find little piles of wood dust in my stacks as evidence. It doesn’t do well if placed directly on the ground from my experience, but dries out good if you can get it up on top of another layer. Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a big one in the middle of the woods on the side of my house where I am finding all these smaller ones. Im guessing that was the original. I took a few down along the property line since I said I'd trim the trees and found some small oak trees growing. I dont have any oak trees. I'd love to survive this ash tree situation and have some good wood to burn after it all. Currently there's a lot of alder and cotton wood. I'll burn it in the spring or fall but need some good wood for winter. Since the ash are all dead I'm finding lots of other spices of trees so I'm trying to figure out what they are.

Latest posts

Back