tree identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaktreeguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, thinking about falling and milling 2 trees, 36" DBH. Trying to determine type of tree.

Bark looks similar to red oak or ash, but the leaves are oval (no lobes). However the branches from 40' below don't seem to be opposite-branching, so not ash.

Tree #1

[photo=medium]4836[/photo]

[photo=medium]4835[/photo]

[photo=medium]4834[/photo]

[photo=medium]4833[/photo]

Tree #2

[photo=medium]4837[/photo]

[photo=medium]4838[/photo]

[photo=medium]4839[/photo]

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

Yep, looks like an Oak. Lots of Oaks have oval leaves. As mentioned above, Shingle or Willow. Chinkapin and Chestnut are oval but look wider than your pic. Laurel Oak looks close to yours, Joe.

Thanks! I should have mentioned, but I'm the 6th picture, those low leaves are from a nearby sapling. The first leaves on these trees are 40+ feet up.

They do in person however look wider than a shingle or willow oak leaf. May have to go back with binoculars to get a better view.

Other dilemma is slabbing... only have a 36" bar so where these are 36" or a tad over, guess we will lose a few inches. And with the number of passes through a tree this thick, kerf waste will add up.

Thought about having a bandsaw mill come out and mill 10-12 logs but a mobile mill that'll handle 24-36" logs is probably not common nor cheap.

My first thought was elm as well. Gonna need to see a close up of the leaf to get a better idea.
Thanks, I'll try to get that.

From what I understand, Elm wouldn't be the first choice to mill for lumber given other options like oak or hickory.

Do you want to mill for personal use or trying to sell? They don't look like prime grade saw logs. They look like the kind of logs I mill 12/4 for live edge benches, or use for firewood. If you want them for the figure you might have some nice pieces. Most of the timber guys up here will pick you apart on any defect in the log, Joe.

Do you want to mill for personal use or trying to sell? They don't look like prime grade saw logs. They look like the kind of logs I mill 12/4 for live edge benches, or use for firewood. If you want them for the figure you might have some nice pieces. Most of the timber guys up here will pick you apart on any defect in the log, Joe.

Thanks! What are you referring to as far as defects?

He's referring to the branches and or knots along the trunk. Basically high grade lumber is super straight and has no branches or knots the length of the log.

Elm is a pretty desired wood and if it were me I'd be happier to have elm logs vs oak. Mainly because I've never milled elm and the tree company I know has oak around all the time.

Andrew

I went back to look. In the forth picture I thought it looked like a big wound, like another tree may have fallen against it. But looking closer it looks like sun shining through the trees. In another pic you can see "Cat Faces" on the logs. That's where a branch broke off years ago and healed over. If you have a 12'8" log with a cat face on the end, cut it down to 8'8". They will degrade the 12 footer for the "cat face" so much the 8 footer "clear" would pay more. Sorry BigOak, I just looked up and saw you already answered the question. Another thing for high grade you cant tell till it's cut, is the pith should be centered. If the pith is off center with wide growth rings on one side and tight rings on the other it can show excess stress. It's kind of like going to the recycle yard. You can have a big bucket full of clean #1 copper, and one little piece with solder on it. They will degrade the whole bucket to #2 copper because of the one little piece of solder. Some scrap yards and saw mills, figure if you don't know how to grade and separate the product, that's your fault and you get paid the lowest grade for what is in your load.

If you are just going to cut 3" (12/4) boards and sell them to craftsmen, grading is not an issue. Many craftsmen like the character that defects make in the wood. Whatever you decide, please keep posting pics, those are a couple big ones, Joe.

Back