Tree limbs snapping and falling from adjacent park..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BklynBlue

Reaction score
I live in the NYC area. My home runs adjacent to a NYC park. Over the last couple of years I have noticed an excessive amount of tree branches snapping falling onto my roof and property. I recently went into the park and after closer observation I noticed many trees had Vines wrapped around them. I am wondering if anyone here could help me identify these Vines and whether they are invasive or not and perhaps the culprits of the tree damage? Help needed, I do not want these branches to fall on anyone especially a member of my family while out enjoying the backyard.

Attachments

• 20181210_154822.jpg
    20181210_154822.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20181210_160912.jpg
    20181210_160912.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20181210_160626.jpg
    20181210_160626.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 20181210_160215.jpg
    20181210_160215.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
I would call the city tree department and express your concern and have one of their arborists inspect the trees. When you call it in, talk about branches possibly hitting park users, that will speed up their response.

I dont know about NYC but the munis i work around are pretty responsive to tree complaints. Whether they do anything is a different issue.

I would call the city tree department and express your concern and have one of their arborists inspect the trees. When you call it in, talk about branches possibly hitting park users, that will speed up their response.

I dont know about NYC but the munis i work around are pretty responsive to tree complaints. Whether they do anything is a different issue.
Agree. They don’t want a lawsuit because of negligence. Besides parked cars also mention pedestrians.

I forget what those vines are called but I just had the privilege of sitting through a talk about them and other invasive species during my states annual arborist seminar this past week.
This particular species of vine grows so tight around the trees it will girdle them killing them off. It's pretty safe to say those vines are causing some problems.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back