Tree man comith

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just gotta love those tree guy's bringing gifts. They brought me some live oak and pecan mix. Time to go to work!

4ruhxv.jpg

34ih4yd.jpg

Just curious...do you buck all of your rounds to the same length? Square the ends? Or just cut within a given range? I saw lots of angled ends in the drop pile but all of the rounds look perfect.

It depends on what I am bucking it out for. Plain old firewood I don't care as much about strait ends as long as the length is pretty close to what I want. This batch is going into bagged cooking wood so I like to have strait ends and equal lengths.
Strait ends do make splitting easier then angled ends. Though my new splitter I just got in Jan of this year has a very sharp wedge and splitting wood with angled ends is not a problem because the wedge cuts into the wood very well and doesn't tend to slip off as much as it did with my old splitter. It all depends on how much angle the cuts have when I get them. Those tree guys don't care if they cut equal lengths or what angle there cuts are. But it's free wood with free delivery so I never complain.
The ends and cutoffs never go to waste. I use them in my smoker and my wood stove both in the house and shop. Anything left over gets sold.

I'm almost finished splitting this load.

Here is most of the live oak split to 12'' and 14'' lengths. I still have a little I haven't split yet. The front row will probably be about half a stack in front of the back row.
2hh0p5k.jpg

Then I cut some a little longer at 18''
I got one 4'x4' stack of 18''
ve59hc.jpg

I haven't stacked the pecan yet but I haven't finished splitting it all just yet. ether.
65qzit.jpg

That load looks like it may yield about,
60 bag's of regular live oak cooking wood with bark at $15.00 a bag = $900.00
About 60 bags of regular pecan with bark at $15.00 each = $900.00
About 30 bags of heart wood, no bark at $20.00 each = $600.00
and 1/4 cord of long splits at $80.00 a stack = $80.00
and a little bit of scrap end pieces, I'll probably use that myself.
Total load will probably yield about $2,480.00

I had to pull off splitting wood to do other chores, then it started raining and there calling for possible flooding tomorrow. May be a few days before I get back to the wood pile. I didn't do any wood today, mostly mowed grass.

Back