Tree-mek in action

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive piece of machinery, but the video has left me wondering about one aspect. I noticed that while the video displayed a lot of cutting and removal, it only showed a very short glimpse of the device moving into position. That leaves me wondering how many attempts are needed for the operator to position the grapple where he wants it. I did wonder shortly if the operator could work better if he stood to the side, but concluded the operator's vantage point is probably best as shown so he can move the grapple directly between him and the target ... leaving only depth perception as the only hurdle.

Impressive piece of machinery, but the video has left me wondering about one aspect. I noticed that while the video displayed a lot of cutting and removal, it only showed a very short glimpse of the device moving into position. That leaves me wondering how many attempts are needed for the operator to position the grapple where he wants it. I did wonder shortly if the operator could work better if he stood to the side, but concluded the operator's vantage point is probably best as shown so he can move the grapple directly between him and the target ... leaving only depth perception as the only hurdle.
It's nothing to position the grapple. I cut that footage out because it was boring to watch. All you do is extend up, tilt the head to match the angle of the limb, grab, cut, bring it down. Piece of cake.

Honestly im glad to see things like this evolving in the industry. While it will never replace a climber in some situations, the fact that it works will only spark new innovations to make them more efficient and safer. Anything to reduce risk and improve production is great in my eyes. Everything had its start, this seems to have a pretty good one. It wouldnt get to most of the jobs my company gets but I could see it making lots of money with a city contract. If you had a quick change head for a stump grinder. $$$$$$$

Any idea what the weight rating is? Looks to be a Mecanil grapple?

I'd be worried about having the whole sha-bang come down from cutting a piece that's too heavy.

Honestly im glad to see things like this evolving in the industry. While it will never replace a climber in some situations, the fact that it works will only spark new innovations to make them more efficient and safer. Anything to reduce risk and improve production is great in my eyes. Everything had its start, this seems to have a pretty good one. It wouldnt get to most of the jobs my company gets but I could see it making lots of money with a city contract. If you had a quick change head for a stump grinder. $$$$$$$
I live and work in a half rural, half city area. I'm busy every day. I do all of my work and take trees down now for other tree services. I don't do contracts because I never win them because my prices are too high. I specialize in removals only now and have one only employee.

Any idea what the weight rating is? Looks to be a Mecanil grapple?

I'd be worried about having the whole sha-bang come down from cutting a piece that's too heavy.
It's a Mecanil SG220. 18" bar. From the ground you can lift 4,000lbs. Up in the tree is different. I make a habit of taking small pieces (500lbs or less) for safety and always remind myself that I'm taking a tree down by myself while standing on the ground!

While I can not afford it, I would like to see it in person as well. I could see it getting big in the future.

Latest posts

Back