• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Tree monkey Stihl ms261c price drop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering why someone would buy a new saw, pay $350 to port it, and turn around and sell it.

Not necessarily this saw in particular.

In no particular order:

1. Something to do cuz you have lots of $$ & think it's fun
2. You thought it was a great idea at the time ...
3. You want to impress folks, then you remembered the rent is past due
4. So & so has one just like it & obviously I need one too

I've done it a couple times:laughing: (I thought it was a great idea at the time)

Right...he said he preferred his Husky so thats why this one in “paticular” is for sale
You should buy it. Maybe you'd understand. I've had a few I've paid to have ported and sold. Some I came out alright on, some not. One of them was new. I've done a couple myself. Still have one that a guy ported for me. This site is for professionals, but there are a lot of enthusiasts here too. They're a lot cheaper than hot rods. I know more than one guy that has went completely through a car, lost his ass selling it, and immediately bought another project to do it all over again. We're weird creatures.

You should buy it. Maybe you'd understand. I've had a few I've paid to have ported and sold. Some I came out alright on, some not. One of them was new. I've done a couple myself. Still have one that a guy ported for me. This site is for professionals, but there are a lot of enthusiasts here too. They're a lot cheaper than hot rods. I know more than one guy that has went completely through a car, lost his ass selling it, and immediately bought another project to do it all over again. We're weird creatures.

I just bought a brand new stihl ms261 and let me tell you for the weight to power it is by far the best saw I have ever used.

If ported saws are so great why are there always so many for sale? Seriously.
I'm probably going to regret opening my big mouth but here I go! I used to feel exactly like you; not buying into the ported saw hype. BUT after buying my first, I now own 4 and can't wait for Kevin to get his bench cleared off so I can get him to do at least 2 or 3 more of my saws. Trust and believe me, there is NO comparison. The power difference is unbelievable, the fuel consumption is WAAAAAAAAAY better on ported saws, they run so much cooler, and minus the kickback (if no decomp) they crank so much easier (less pulls).
I used to have a Stihl bias; wouldn't own a Husky for crap. UNTIL i bought my first and when I discovered a 372 would hang with my 044 (just washed my mouth out with whiskey because I hate to admit it) I was thoroughly convinced that Husky is a a good saw too. Since then I've bought several other Huskys and they hang from the rafters of my shop right along with my Stihls and they also hang just as well in the cut when I'm in the woods.
I said all of that to say THIS; "some stuff can't be explained", but you ought not knock it until you've tried it. I can't explain for the life of me why anybody would part company with a ported saw, UNLESS they hit hard times, want something BIGGER (that is also ported), or they got their hands on one that was not done right. Then there is also the thing I mentioned earlier, with increased compression, a ported saw can be a beast to pull without a decomp; and I know a lot of older guys who part company with a saw period, because they just no longer have the desire to pull on a big saw with high compression. But I can guarantee you, if you ever get your hands on your own saw that was ported right, once you run it, you will NEVER go back unless you hit hard times or just can't pull it.

I'm probably going to regret opening my big mouth but here I go! I used to feel exactly like you; not buying into the ported saw hype. BUT after buying my first, I now own 4 and can't wait for Kevin to get his bench cleared off so I can get him to do at least 2 or 3 more of my saws. Trust and believe me, there is NO comparison. The power difference is unbelievable, the fuel consumption is WAAAAAAAAAY better on ported saws, they run so much cooler, and minus the kickback (if no decomp) they crank so much easier (less pulls).
I used to have a Stihl bias; wouldn't own a Husky for crap. UNTIL i bought my first and when I discovered a 372 would hang with my 044 (just washed my mouth out with whiskey because I hate to admit it) I was thoroughly convinced that Husky is a a good saw too. Since then I've bought several other Huskys and they hang from the rafters of my shop right along with my Stihls and they also hang just as well in the cut when I'm in the woods.
I said all of that to say THIS; "some stuff can't be explained", but you ought not knock it until you've tried it. I can't explain for the life of me why anybody would part company with a ported saw, UNLESS they hit hard times, want something BIGGER (that is also ported), or they got their hands on one that was not done right. Then there is also the thing I mentioned earlier, with increased compression, a ported saw can be a beast to pull without a decomp; and I know a lot of older guys who part company with a saw period, because they just no longer have the desire to pull on a big saw with high compression. But I can guarantee you, if you ever get your hands on your own saw that was ported right, once you run it, you will NEVER go back unless you hit hard times or just can't pull it.
Who ports your saws. I’m thinking of sending my new ms261c to get ported.

Who ports your saws. I’m thinking of sending my new ms261c to get ported.
His site name on here is "huskihl"! Reach out to him via PM; he is an awesome fellow and I vouch for him with my WHOLE name. I also have a saw ported by Scaar; it's a 394 with heated handles; I can't say enough good about that saw either. I have one ported by another fellow; which is a hellava saw but I wouldn't advise you to send ANYTHING to him at all so I won't even mention his name. The other two fellows I mentioned are great to deal with though; AND I am not knocking any of the other builders out there (but the one who I refused to mention); I just have not had any experience with those guys. But I KNOW "huskkihl" and "Scaar" are both great guys and stand behind their work; 100%, you won't go wrong with either.

His site name on here is "huskihl"! Reach out to him via PM; he is an awesome fellow and I vouch for him with my WHOLE name. I also have a saw ported by Scaar; it's a 394 with heated handles; I can't say enough good about that saw either. I have one ported by another fellow; which is a hellava saw but I wouldn't advise you to send ANYTHING to him at all so I won't even mention his name. The other two fellows I mentioned are great to deal with though; AND I am not knocking any of the other builders out there (but the one who I refused to mention); I just have not had any experience with those guys. But I KNOW "huskkihl" and "Scaar" are both great guys and stand behind their work; 100%, you won't go wrong with either.
Thankyou

Not to get on the whole what oil is best thing but my tm 261c runs great at 40 to 1 it didn't like 32 to 1 I use 100 low lead av gas and amsoul sabre. I run it in all my ported saws
Probably due to the fact Sabre premix is designed to be mixed between 50:1 to 100'1 ratio,s . 32:1 is way to rich for Sabre !

Probably due to the fact Sabre premix is designed to be mixed between 50:1 to 100'1 ratio,s . 32:1 is way to rich for Sabre !
Most all m tonics regardless of type of 2 stroke oil don't like more then 40 to 1 in my findings I believe that it's the way there designed

Could be , that fuel management system is mapped for the 40:1 ratio,s nox limits . However I have experienced optimal oil / fuel ratio with today's oil spec,s , within that 50:1 is more than sufficient regardless . I even run my Vintage Pioneer saws @ 50:1 with Premium Synthetic oils with no apparent engine lubricity issues !

Back