Tree Outsmarts Me...again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkbeater1999

Reaction score
This winter ive been pruning a dying and damaged group of trees in one of the worst neighborhoods in waterbury, ct.
I saved this liter until now because its got a wild curve to it. So instead of spiking up the back of it i positioned my climbing line to a tip in the tree next to it, prepositioned a second tip at the branch tip of my target liter. Hoping to pullmyself right on top of my prey. I isolated my primary tip as best i could but obviously not well enough, a few branches had me just barely parrallel to the branch tip of my target liter. I was only able to safely make a few good cuts. Try as i did with my lanyard i couldnt reposition well enough to mount my liter. If my secondary wasnt a closed system and i could move it like my primary, i might have had a chance but being so contorted due to my primarys angle and b.s. impeding my freedom. I didnt dare try to unhook my primary. In the end i prolly lost my wits under the impending failure of my plan. I desended with the liter still looming over. Im looking for a better plan. Maybe the next, taller liter of the neighboring tree, a little farther from the twisty liter, if i can completely isolate the tip i may hav a better shot. Especially if i go as high up as i can in the neighboring tree and then come down and pull myself over to the target with a second system. You can see the branch tip of the target liter where i was able to make a few cuts. Please lend me some wisdom how us do it.
Here it is at a few diff angles. Im mad at myself mostly but am not done and i need a little guidance how to kill this twisty liter.

Attachments

• 20190417_141029.jpg
    20190417_141029.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190417_141037.jpg
    20190417_141037.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • 20190417_141149.jpg
    20190417_141149.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • 20190417_140941.jpg
    20190417_140941.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20190417_141114.jpg
    20190417_141114.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
Yeah still wearing spikes because i intend on cutting back down the spar, but theyv not been any use because i ascended directly below the branch tips. Will attempt in a bit if the rain holds off.

I did a job like this recently. Hinge it upwards. It's simple but time consuming. Your necessities are a pole hook, a block, two or three helpers, and two straps with a carabinier to connect them.

Basically, climb up the center lead and hang your block there. Then run a rope through the block and tie it near the tip of the leaning branches. Now pick a spot on the branch to cut and put your straps on either side (so the butt doesn't get away from you.)

From there, just face cut it upwards and have your guys pull steady on the rope to lift it during your back cut.

It's fun to do, really.

Back