Tree paint other then tree paint?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
In a pinch could a guy get away with a good enamel? I've got ten acres to mark this week and I know I'll be a can or two short. My best priced paint will take a week to get here. I know the ground marking(inverted style) doesn't last long on trees. Maybe a year at best it seems. Any thoughts? Experience? Bs just for fun?

Most land owners out here just use regular cheap spray paint, lasts a ffar while, you just need to be up close and personal with the tree to make it work.

Where as tree marking paint you can be 6 or so feet back and make it work

Which trees do you paint? The ones to be cut or saved? Or perhaps the boundary lines of the site?
I'm curious because we don't usually mark individual trees over here, unless they are for something special like poles.

Use survey tape here.

On the last timber sale, they marked the boundary in one color and seed trees (ones to keep) in another. Everything else was to be cut.

Typically the trees to be cut are marked. Rarely are just the save trees marked, but that does happen. Usually in an oak shelterwood cut. Sometimes the paint is just drying on a sale when I get there and sometimes it's been years. Flagging tape doesn't last very long. Either the weather or the neighbors get to it. Boundaries get painted too.

Thanks. Property boundary lines are often painted here but no much else.
We use flagging tape, some use plastic but the company I work for uses tape made of paper, it can even be boiled with the pulp without harming the process, unlike plastic.
Seed trees are left to the harvester operator to choose, but usually we do clear cuts and replant the following year.
We flag boundaries, marches/creeks and sometimes the path we wish the forwarder to use to get most of the wood out to the landing, that's mostly to guide them around wet areas where they can get stuck or damage water ways or to show a way through rough terrain etc.
So our flagging is to show where to cut but it's up to the logger or operator to choose which trees to cut and which to save.

We hardly use paint here most of the jobs it’s not allowed it’s all flagging with marking ribbon, certain colors and color combos mean different things. Blue water line or buffer zone from creek, Pink harvest area, Pink/Blue combo end of harvest zone, these are about all I’ve seen thinning. If I’m flagging trails for cutting in the early morning I’ll use green, white, or a red with white strip depending what the trail is as well as try to leave the ribbon for the forwarder operator on the main trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We paint either cut or leave trees, whichever there are fewer of. Leave treed are painted orange or red (DANGER! DON'T CUT!) where cut trees are blue (it's cool y'all). Often we use paper tap for temporary marking because it's gone in a couple of years no matter what. Flagging for boundaries is temporary or between timbered areas; our boundaries are marked using weather resistant hi-viz orange cards called flashers. Road repairs are marked with both paint and flagging and landings are flagged. VMA's (vegetation management areas) are likewise only flagged.

In a pinch could a guy get away with a good enamel? I've got ten acres to mark this week and I know I'll be a can or two short. My best priced paint will take a week to get here. I know the ground marking(inverted style) doesn't last long on trees. Maybe a year at best it seems. Any thoughts? Experience? Bs just for fun?
I'm sure one blue paint is just as good as another for most private lands, but the paints the USFS uses for timber marking have multiple chemical trace elements that react to reagent testing in various ways (like turning another color). This is done to prevent people from just over spraying that "leave tree marking" with the take tree color and stealing the timber.

Back