• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Tree Pictures

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Because I like to see trees unmolested by logger or climber in a natural setting, I thought I would dedicate this thread to the tree hugger in all of us.
That following picture is at Bennett Lake near Carcross Yukon. Carcross is short for Caribou Crossing. This is known as the world's most smallest desert. The tree is probably a Black Spruce.
John

Last edited:
Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Very nice pictures SC. It looks like you enjoy the cottonwoods as well.
Here's a stand of White Poplar near Dawson City Yukon. Not a single one was straight. Probably due to wind and snowpress.
Locoweed, your pic was too big for me to open.
John

Last edited:
Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
loco, do redwoods grow in texas now? just yankin ya!

Gypo, i think you forgot to post the picture or else i cant see it.

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Gypo
Cool pics!
Dumb looks still free? Cause I have a dumb question. How much differance is there in the White Poplar and an Aspen? When I look at your white poplar, I know that I have seen the same trees here in Colorado,,,,, I just took it that they were the same as aspen, but some stands get more snow load then others.
From the hip, I bet there are both here?

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
ShoerFast said:
Gypo
Cool pics!
Dumb looks still free? Cause I have a dumb question. How much differance is there in the White Poplar and an Aspen? When I look at your white poplar, I know that I have seen the same trees here in Colorado,,,,, I just took it that they were the same as aspen, but some stands get more snow load then others.
From the hip, I bet there are both here?
Hi Shoefast, I believe that White Poplar and Aspen are one and the same. From what I can gather there are a few subspecies such as Quaking Aspen and Sawtooth Aspen with a few highbrids thrown in. I think the White Polars and Cottonwoods are the most farflung tree except for the willows and maybe the birches and spruces.
Here's a burled Cottonwood on the way to Haines Alaska.
John

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Gypo Logger said:
Did someone say Burls? I found a pumpkin patch along the Alaska Hwy.
John

HOLY BURLONY!!! Shoerfast, you could make a popcorn vat out of that! I mean, ma god, that thing's more burl than tree! Nice find gypo!

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Yes I think your right,
Willows only have a use if your a moose, Birch is good if your cold and wet, ya can still light a fire, but if it touches the ground for 2 rains in a row, it rots away.
But spruce is one of the strongest woods there is , pound for pound, it is used to build aircraft, as it will not brake before it bends. just very labor intinsive.
There sure are a lot of faces in that alasken cottenwood!

Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Website
Visit site
Here's a few from the trapline today. This wonderful beaver dam is just the ticket to get away from it all.

Check out those shrooms growing in that tree. All and all it was a good run plenty of fun. Now all I have to do is duck those deer hunters the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Dennis Cahoon said:
In the Redwoods with Rolin Eslinger.....4 boards up!

how come he's four boards up? seems like it'd be a waste of some pretty good wood unless there was some burl or something below. I could see if it were 100 years ago and you wanted to get past the swollen base with your misery whip, but why would a person need to get that high with a gas saw?

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Sizzle....that picture was taken in the State Park. He'd get 3 days in the electric chair if he cut that tree! Rolin boarded up the tree just to take the picture.

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Here's a big stove piped Sugar Pine right over the property line of a yarder block we cut. I'm glad we didn't cut it, because it had limps as big as those little whimpy trees they cut back east. Don't remember exactly how big it was, but between 6 and 7 feet.