• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Tree Pictures

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Bodean said:
Here's a Redwood Burl photo I took today on Mt. Tamalpais.
Deva :bang:
good gods thats a big burl. whats the story on that one, was that burl part of an old tree that was cut down, because its pretty massive for that small tree. I dunno!

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
Mr. Sizzle I've got no idea on what causes that. It's a coast redwood on the side of a creek with an eastern aspect at the bottom of a mountain. I was hoping someone here might know.
D

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
WoodTick007 said:
DUDE!!!!

Do they sell any Men's clothes at the store where you bought that coat your wearing in the photo????????:laugh: :laugh:
I don't know how to read into your post. I'm not sure if your playing around or not. Since this is a public forum I'll show you a degree of restraint. The woman in the photo that I took is my girlfriend and she's wearing my (I'm a male) jacket that I bought at an REI outlet store.
Enjoy the burl. Again I just don't understand what you're trying to say to me about my girlfriend or the jacket for that matter.
Have a good day and be safe Mr. WoodTick007.
D

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
bodean, i think he got mixed up. when i first saw the picture, i thought to myself, "bodean sure does look like a girl. . ." Of course, you dont say things like that, so I'm glad to see you clarify that it was a woman in a man's jacket, not you. I think that woody just wanted to say something about it, but didnt know how to say it.

i have been thinking about that burl, and I did a quick search and found this great info about them

http://www.sempervirens.org/burl.htm

based on the info in that article, i think that the burl in your picture was actually the reminants of a larger tree that was cut. They left the burl (as was common if you could avoid having to cut it) and it sprouted that smaller tree in your picture. Otherwise, I don't see how that small of a tree could produce such a massive amount of burl so early in life.

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
I appreciate the words of clarification, I'm sure no one meant any harm or offense. I find it hard to catch myself. I actually logged on to erase my last post so as not to instigate malthoughts. Anyhoo The link you posted is informative. Lignotubers indeed. The tree sits at a trailhead and no other large trees are near or in sight. No old stumps. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just mystifies me.

Sorry Mr. WoodTick007 for assuming too far as we know what that gives us.
D

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
You know all the burl shops I've ever seen are in Mendo or Humboldt where the old ones grow. I always associated big burl with old trees, though this tree appears juvenile in comparison. Environmental stresses maybe? Fire?
The tree has no sprouts or suckers arising from the burl suggesting stress or the need for more photosynthetic leaves. I'm just stumped on this burl.
D

smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is no reliable evidence of any sasquatch/big foot critter.
You can fake footprints, photos.
Gotta have bone, fur or at least very very good photos. Not an old movie from Northern Cal where you can blow up the frames and find a zipper tab.
I refuse to believe that bigfoot has achieved zipper technology.
Sizzle, you tell 'em.
Marky Mark:
I would have guessed raccoon. Does a mink have that long of a toe?

fmueller

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Website
Visit site
I suppose the next thing yer gonna tell me is that there is no Lochness Monster or aliens either? How can you believe there are Foresters for the New York City Housing Authority but not in Sasquatch?

Last edited:
Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
okay, here's what i know about bigfoot. when i worked for the forest service, it was our job to patrol the forest after a lightning storm to check for smokes. I was with another guy cruzing a remote area of the Willamette National Forest and we were coming down a logging road pretty fast, just making chit-chat. He was driving and I was passenger. We pass a spur road on my side and I look down it and see what looked to be bigfoot.

Now, your probly saying, it was just a bear. I seen lots of bear and this was different. For one thing, it was much bigger, like the size of giant man/gorilla. It was on its hind legs, stooped but erect. Its face had no hair on it, completely bald.

It freaked the sh!t out of me, so I started yelling, "Bigfoot! Bigfoot! Back there, bigfoot!" So, the guy Im riding with slams the breaks because I'm making such a big deal and backs up real quick. We pull down the spur road but it was completely gone! We looked for its tracks for a few minutes but nothing. Also, I got no reason to lie about this stuff so rest assure that Im not blowing smoke up your a$$. Here's a drawing of what happend, but Its hard to draw what i saw.