• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Tree Pictures

fmueller

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Website
Visit site
I figured you saw something once. I did too up in Northwest Wisconsin bout 36 years ago and I still have no explanatin for it. I was hiking through the woods to this lake where me and this other kid were building this raft out of some old barrels and board. I was going to go out and work on it some by myself cause it wassummer vacation and I was bored. Anyway I walk out into the clearing and hear water sloshing so I look up and there goes something running out of the lake on two legs, all hairy. I did'nt look much, just turned around and hauled a-- all the way home. So there, I said it. Sizzle may have opened the door for all us sasquatch sighters.
By the way, I always wanted to work for the Forest Service, had the Forestry degree and all, tried for 5 years and gave up. How did you get on?

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Forest service is all about working your way up slowly. I dont work there anymore, but i started 5 years ago, and of all the people that i started work with, only two have permanent positions after all that time. The rest have to get rehired every year. Anyway, i dont know where you were applying, but you would have a much better time getting on FS on the west coast because there are way more positions than in WI.

Also, here's why i name everything dog, post 40

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=25669&page=3

NIP Group
Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
Some More Burl Black Oak

Not to change pace of the thread but to augment the burl portion. So, Here's a Big Black Oak I found cruising through Mendocino N.F. in Upper Lake.
There are giant madrones and tons of springs just bursting out of the mountain.
The area had been burned over with tons of Purple valley oaks coming up after.
D

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
J-Zoo, thems some big burls bodean! In the forests around here, I hardly ever see burl on Firs, Cedars and even Oak. I mean, hardly ever. But then if I cross the cascades to the east side, every few pines has burl. So, it must have to do with the species because redwood has a lot of burl too. How far do you have to drive to get to some good redwoods bodean? Takes me about 4-5 hours to get into a state park but I'm sure your much closer.

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
which ones? coastal or the giant redwoods. either way, they are mind blowing. seeing one huge tree like a redwood is something, but to see a whole forest full of them is really whats amazing to me. often, there will be two, three or maybe 4 huge redwoods growing right up against each other. trees up here always look so tiny after seeing them things.

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
Well Mr. Sizzle,

Distances to Redwoods are as follows. Roy's Redwoods are in Nicasio, CA. This is about 15 minutes west. samuel P taylor state park has some biggies too (about 20 minutes west toward Point Reyes National Seashore). Point Reyes (45 minutes west) has alot more Fir than Redwood, though still a beauty. Guernville, CA has enormous Redwoods (Armstrong Woods, state park) and Firs (180+), these are about an hour north on 101. The famous MuirWoods (NPS) near Muir Beach are less than an hour SW from here. These are old growth and were spared back in the day from building San Francisco because of the terrible access. There are giant Eucalyptus all around the Bay as well. The Oakland Hills where the great fire was not to long ago has huge Eucalyptus at least in the 200+ category.

The only Redwoods around here are Coast Redwoods. The giant MoFo's are further east as in Yosemite. I went to the southern grove last year. This one called like "Bear" or something had limbs with 6' diameter 60' up. It was shocking to see. It appears the NPS just alotted $50,000 to trim and dead wood several of the Giant Sequoias (misspelled). That's a budget I could work with.

I feel that in Siberia :dizzy: you're going to have poorer soils that can not support the needs of a huge tree. Most of the Big Redwwods around here are in drainages filled with creek sediment and alluvial soils. I know you're not in Siberia but closer to the cascades. My girlfriend just bought two acres in Plumas County where the Cascades run into the Sierras. Talk about species diversification. Anyhoo I'm talking too much.

Just to put a photo in here's a few of a redwood wreck we had. My friend Evan got to do the wood I only brushed it out the day before. I think because he needed someone with a head on his shoulders on the ground. Cranes and end dumps.

First photo is a crane shot.
Second is Evan on the stick.
Third is the crane.
Fourth is an End Dump with the saw logs.
Fifth is the stump cut with the 088.
Enjoy.

D

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
Dennis Cahoon said:
Bodean, that lodgepole picture was taken in Plumas Co. Where did your girlfriend buy property?
She and I worked for the Forest Cirque de "hurry up and wait" for about 4-5 years. That's where we met on a FireCrew (handcrew mind you, no slugs). Hottest saw chick I ever seen in Nomex. Though to answer your question, "C-Road" . A nice little fire trap drainage west of Delleker and just east of Blairsden and Mohawk. Prices are rising She got it for 110K while now it's almost that much for an acre.
D

Tree Frog

Tree Frog

ArboristSite Operative
Sizzle-Chest said:
which ones? coastal or the giant redwoods. either way, they are mind blowing. seeing one huge tree like a redwood is something, but to see a whole forest full of them is really whats amazing to me. often, there will be two, three or maybe 4 huge redwoods growing right up against each other. trees up here always look so tiny after seeing them things.

Armstrong, any one know if you can climb there?

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
Where was that Lodgepole, Dennis from Chico?
Do you go to Duffy's often to drink with the bunting Jesus?
Hah.

Armstrong Woods out by Guernville is a State Park I think so yes if you feel ok and pay taxes use the service provided. Climb it til they tell you to get down. I suggest bring your rope bag up with you so as to deter detection.

D

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Due east, up Hwy. 32 toward Chester/Lake Almanor, then turn off to Butte Meadows, and just up and over Humbug summit. About 50 miles from Chico on top of the Sierras and only a few miles from the Pacific Crest trail.

Don't go to Duffy's, but use to hang at the Oasis.

Macdaddy lives in Portola, not to far from your property.

Tree Frog

Tree Frog

ArboristSite Operative
Bodean said:
Armstrong Woods out by Guernville is a State Park I think so yes if you feel ok and pay taxes use the service provided. Climb it til they tell you to get down. I suggest bring your rope bag up with you so as to deter detection.

D

Thanks for the heads up, I my just throw a line while I'm there. It's a big place.

Bodean

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
Well then I really get hot for Madrones. I asked my girlfriend to let me take a picture of her touching it. She said yes. I got more interesting ones yet. Though not too acceptable to post.

bwalker said:
110K for 2 acres??? I can buy over 100 acres for that here.
Yes I'm sure land is cheap in Michigan. Though I'm not in a hurry to move. I've got business and contacts here. It sucks here in comparison to say anywhere else but hey what can I say. I grew up in Spokanarchy Wa and there is a lot of land for sale. Sandy coulees with medium pines. 100 acres for a 100K easy but, its still Spokomptonesque And I speak from knowing not guessing. I would love to land a job somewhere else to check out. Any euro's want a climber? How about Australia? I'll fly there but I'd like a wage. I can speak and write fluent spanish, mind you western hemispheric spanish not spain spanish. I don't have anything else to offer on how great california is, or did I at all.
Deva