Tree protector tubes,ventilated or not ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to plant possibly a hundred oak saplings and wonder which tube is better and is it ok to completely cover a 2 ft sapling with a 4 ft tube ?
We will be planting in sandy soil in central wisconsin, and is there a supplier in wisconsin so I don't have to pay shipping,, will drive and pick up.
Thanks

I've seen both work well. The important thing is to make sure they have good ground contact - especially in the winter so you don't get a "chimney" for the wind which will dry the trees out.

Yes, you can put a 4-5' tube on a short tree... assuming you are talking about the translucent tree tubes designed for that.

Any recommendations on a source for over 1200 tree tubes? Working on an EQIP program and trying to keep cost minimized.

Forestry Suppliers has a cheap option, they are blue and you have to assemble them yourself. They start at around 60 cents each. Usually on sale once a year. They work pretty good. Unless the government is paying then buy the 4 dollar ones, they are more sturdy.

Forestry Suppliers has a cheap option, they are blue and you have to assemble them yourself. They start at around 60 cents each. Usually on sale once a year. They work pretty good. Unless the government is paying then buy the 4 dollar ones, they are more sturdy.
Yes, the USDA will be helping.
If I go with a miracle tree tube or the tree pro tree tube I will be maxing out what they will pay per tree with the purchase of a $0.90 bare root sapling. Looking at saving additional money by using the sawmill to cut 1" stakes from honey locusts.
Was exploring other possible options/cheaper options.

Back