Tree question: Is this bark shedding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree_enthusiast12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to know what causes these kinds of white marks on this tree. Is this bark shedding? This is in a city about 2 hours away from Sydney, Australia btw (in Nowra). Also, is this a spotted gum tree?

Secondly, is it possible to create specific patterns on a tree like this with your own hands? As in, can you purposefully and not just naturally create any pattern you want? Is the bark weak enough at this stage to easily sort of craft any sort of patterns you want on it? Or are these patterns part of the bark itself?

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 55
Tree Enthusiast,

It’s an easy mistake to make, but your pic is not a tree at all. This was a horse (possibly a giraffe) traveling to the right of the frame. Its front legs were cropped from the photo and one leg was grafted upside down to the head of the man who was passing by headed toward the left. This reworked photo was meant to be a model for a work by Salvatore Dali.

CB

Tree Enthusiast,

It’s an easy mistake to make, but your pic is not a tree at all. This was a horse (possibly a giraffe) traveling to the right of the frame. Its front legs were cropped from the photo and one leg was grafted upside down to the head of the man who was passing by headed toward the left. This reworked photo was meant to be a model for a work by Salvatore Dali.

CB
How long has MJ been legal now in CO? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tree Enthusiast,

CB
Seriously though, any ideas?

I don't know much about gum trees (or any other Australian trees), but Sycamore trees develop similar bark. It exfoliates each year. You could probably flake off bark in specific patterns, but it would change next season when new bark grows.

I don't know much about gum trees (or any other Australian trees), but Sycamore trees develop similar bark. It exfoliates each year. You could probably flake off bark in specific patterns, but it would change next season when new bark grows.
When you say flake off, in what way? Using your hands even? Or would a tool be required?

If you can look at that photo and not see what I see, you need to vote for legal weed in YOUR state.

Sorry to the OP. You have a valid question and I hope someone will have a valid answer.
I saw something close to what you see, just not in such detail. Just making a joke, actually, your comment was quite artistic. No thanks on the weed, it makes me sneeze.
Now that I've taken a closer look, it looks more like a humpback whale.

When you say flake off, in what way? Using your hands even? Or would a tool be required?
I truly dont know why you would want to risk damaging the tree, by peeling the bark off before it's ready. If you can pick it off by hand and dont have to put much effort into it, yeah I guess I can see that, but theres no reason I can think of that any sort of tool should be involved to remove bark, that will falloff on it's own when ready. How would you like it if a tree started ripping the skin off your body?

I truly dont know why you would want to risk damaging the tree, by peeling the bark off before it's ready. If you can pick it off by hand and dont have to put much effort into it, yeah I guess I can see that, but theres no reason I can think of that any sort of tool should be involved to remove bark, that will falloff on it's own when ready. How would you like it if a tree started ripping the skin off your body?
This. Especially on thin bark. If the bark was really thick, I could see gently tooling JUST the outer bark. But on a tree like that, just flaking the lose bark of by hand is what I was picturing.

I think you're assuming things. This tree is not on my property and does not even exist anymore. I'm just asking if it's possible for your hands to peel it off, and was curious.

This. Especially on thin bark. If the bark was really thick, I could see gently tooling JUST the outer bark. But on a tree like that, just flaking the lose bark of by hand is what I was picturing.
So you think using your hands would be enough to flake the bark off the tree in the original picture I posted, correct? Again, I'm not going to do this by myself. This tree is not mine and nor does it even exist anymore.

So you think using your hands would be enough to flake the bark off the tree in the original picture I posted, correct? Again, I'm not going to do this by myself. This tree is not mine and nor does it even exist anymore.
I said in my first repy that I am not familiar with gum trees...so with that qualifier: yes, I'd assume the bark will flake off. But maybe not. And probably not in precise shapes

Back