Tree removing in Moscow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
underwor said:
Here is a repost of the link to a photo of Grigory in his climbing gear that I took while in Moscow. It will show you the set up that they use. I think that they move up the tree at about the same pace that I do on spurs. You will notice that they are secured to both lanyards, so there is plenty of backup protection in the system.

Hope this helps.

http://165.234.175.12/photos/Russia/1 Trip Pictures/IM000155.JPG

Interesting, kinda similar to the setup I use to trim palms with no gaffs, but with my setup my weight stays mostly on my feet.

Grigory's exact setup is pretty much unique, though I respectfully doubt its practicality for removals, especially the fat ones that are 4ft DBH+.

I do applaud his ingenuity and individuality in doing it his way, as well as kindly adding to our knowledge base.

Good job Grigory, and keep posting it's good stuff!

jomoco

that was really interesting.
enjoyed seeing the setup that you use grigory'
i'm not a treeman myself but its all very fascinating to me.

dasvidanya'

matt

Hi Grigory

Please share more with us. As Ekka and others said the camera was positioned nicely to show your tree cutting technique. Your climbing technique is marvelously inovating. Your crew works very well together. Thanks for posting and I look forward to your next posting.

:cheers:

Thank by all for the favorable comments.

To Mike:
This board self-made addition part to a saddle.
It is not connected to a saddle, only in a common point of a suspension bracket on middle with a biner.
This board can be used with any harness without itegrated seat.

O! I have found is named to "Bosun seat"

Hiya Grigory, yup, 'Bosun's seat' (or chair), I can see it easing pinching and nut crushing and can imagine the relief it must bring to legs, waist, and back for sure. Great picture, I now have a decent idea of what is going on as I have never climbed myself but am insatiably the curious sort. I have gone up a mast of 120' in just the seat with a waistbelt clipped to the halyard ring (the hauling line) and another 6ft line with a clip that attaches to anything for safety (one of the spare Bluenose II's masts on a 130'ft. schooner the RFM now out of Cowichan Bay), lightbulb in mouth, to replace the masthead light. The gentle rocking of the ship translated into a swing of about 10ft at the top. I didn't flinch, or look down much too, and didn't start shaking till I hit the deck again and tried to pour a drink. Fun ride! Hours later I dove nekkid on a dare (1&1/2 backflip from the bowsprite) into a pod of stinging jellyfish, more fun lol. GAH!
kk, no more de-railing.

Great stuff and keep it coming!

:cheers:

Serge (Sergei Dmitrilivich Demiankov Stonjawlski (sp) :) )

Last edited:
He is a remarkable climber. I visited with him in 2003 in Moscow. Uses two lanyards to climb, one with a foot look, the second hooked to the saddle and moves up the tree remarkably fast. Here is a link to the videos on his web site.

http://www.udal.ru/video.htm

I am sorry but that was some of the most crazy climbing and work I have almost ever seen. I surely am not that tough. I think he wasted so much energy, put himself in many odd and dangerous positions and generally worked way to hard to accomplish things. I really only want to be constructive here when I say these things and advise G to go to the box he keeps his spikes in , get them out, shine them up and put them on.
Really, don't get mad at me and think I think I know everything and am trying to scoff. He appears to be a dedicated soldier, a dedicated soldier who is beating the living crap out of himself when he doesn't have to.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back