Tree Roots Causing Problem for Cement Driveway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim PEarman

Reaction score
We need to repair our driveway due to the cracks and heaving caused by the roots from this pine. Are there mitigation strategies to leverage upon repairing or do we need to take the tree down t prevent this from happening all over again? Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 37
Couple of thoughts:
*Looks like the tree is closer to the curb that it is your driveway. Is the curb similarly damaged? (doesn't look like it from the picture. My point is bad construction is often more at fault than the tree...in inadequate base and thin layer of concrete may be the real culprit here)
*How recently was that retaining wall built up? If that was added and filled with soil after the tree was planted, it is not unlikely that the tree is going to suffer long-term from that added soil around its trunk.
*It would be good to see how many roots are under the slab...how much of the tree's root system will be removed to replace the driveway?

Now...onto your original question:
--Yes, concrete and trees CAN co-exist!
--That tree is far enough away that it shouldn't be causing problems.
--As mentioned above: good base and thick enough top

Tom Smiley has some good research about trees and sidewalks. Here is one publication:
https://www.bartlett.com/resources/Sidewalk-Repair-Near-Trees.pdf

There is a more technical article here:
http://joa.isa-arbor.com/articles.asp?JournalID=1&VolumeID=34&IssueID=3
The article is titled "Comparison of Methods to Reduce Sidewalk Damage from Tree Roots"

Having worked around new construction for years, they don't pack the loose soil before they poor driveways and sidewalks and it looks like most of your slabs are dropping in one area and raising in others. My bet is there is little to no rebar in the drive and sidewalk. You wont know for sure till you pull the concrete up.

We need to repair our driveway due to the cracks and heaving caused by the roots from this pine. Are there mitigation strategies to leverage upon repairing or do we need to take the tree down t prevent this from happening all over again? Thanks for your thoughts.

Having posted about your driveway I got to thinking and your location and the weather may have something to do with the cracking and separation. The type of soil you have and how it reacts to weather changes can be very different in many locations.
I have seen some places get 3'' wide cracks in the clay soil, and other very sandy places be stable or erode very quickly. Some soils will turn to jelly if agitated by traffic vibration. Some builders use rebar and some don't. I would look for other answers and not automatically blame the tree.

Pine trees generally have a large tap root and very few small lateral feeder roots. Most pine tree lateral roots are small (about 2'' to 3'' max) I doubt the tree is the culprit.

Agree with this. Unlikely that pine roots are the cause. If the OP has future concerns there are 'root dams' that can be put in place.

Couple of thoughts:
*Looks like the tree is closer to the curb that it is your driveway. Is the curb similarly damaged? (doesn't look like it from the picture. My point is bad construction is often more at fault than the tree...in inadequate base and thin layer of concrete may be the real culprit here)
*How recently was that retaining wall built up? If that was added and filled with soil after the tree was planted, it is not unlikely that the tree is going to suffer long-term from that added soil around its trunk.
*It would be good to see how many roots are under the slab...how much of the tree's root system will be removed to replace the driveway?

Now...onto your original question:
--Yes, concrete and trees CAN co-exist!
--That tree is far enough away that it shouldn't be causing problems.
--As mentioned above: good base and thick enough top

Tom Smiley has some good research about trees and sidewalks. Here is one publication:
https://www.bartlett.com/resources/Sidewalk-Repair-Near-Trees.pdf

There is a more technical article here:
http://joa.isa-arbor.com/articles.asp?JournalID=1&VolumeID=34&IssueID=3
The article is titled "Comparison of Methods to Reduce Sidewalk Damage from Tree Roots"

Great info.

Good to see an arborist step up. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back