Tree service expert?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just a firewood hack. I think the Humboldt is also preferred for commercial cutting, wood for $$ the conv. Cut cuts into the good wood. Also spinning isn't always a bad thing in tight quarters trying to get a tree on the ground.

Not sure where I heard it but I recall it called something like a farmer's cut. Don't know if that's right or not, guilty of a few when I started and didn't know any better. No point in it as far as I know. If it was the conventional face cut you would see it on the tree side that's down is my guess. I would be embarrassed to leave a stump looking like that.

Yea but I recently cut a tree for my parents, since they are trying to cut all their dead ash, and I was using the poulan pro with the muffler mod that I gave them and I looked at it made the cut based on where I thought it would fall and the lean and it fell within a foot or so of where I wanted but I noticed the twist as it fell. Nothing dangerous or real bad but it was an error on what I'd call a tooth pick tree compared to my ash trees. Theres a bit of a skill to the back cut. I wasnt a fan of the saw either, probably y I gave it away.

I've got a few stumps with the angle back cut sitting around and I think every winter I should cut them flush just incase someone were to see them... Live and learn I guess but I'm cutting for my own wood not to make money.

I've seen these types of back cuts before from municipal crews, and most recently my neighbor who took down about 3 standing dead ash like that. I don't know, seems like it could create a situation where you couldn't extract your saw when the tree starts to fall. Also, seems counterintuitive for wedging. Probably just some old dogma from his old man's old man that gets passed down.

If it's a good leaner then the back angle cut wont fail but at the same time the correct back cut wont fail...

You think about it if I cut down at an angle then it cant fall back with a deep front cut but it can and when it does now what. The bar is pinched you cant wedge it and the next saw is useless. Now you have to get a line in it and pull it and hopefully theres no breeze. I only know from experience lol.

Looks like he cut the tree down from the top anyway so that stub was likely only 15' tall and he had someone on a pull rope. Really not much going to happen if that was the case. I posted pictures before of a sloping back cut that I did in the bush once. I used a slopping cut because it was a maple and an ash growing together and I was only removing the ash. Really didn't matter but it made a cleaner looking stump so I sloped it. Nothing going to be hurt in the bush. I think I would like to see a few more pictures of his work before I hired him though.

Looks like he cut the tree down from the top anyway so that stub was likely only 15' tall and he had someone on a pull rope. Really not much going to happen if that was the case. I posted pictures before of a sloping back cut that I did in the bush once. I used a slopping cut because it was a maple and an ash growing together and I was only removing the ash. Really didn't matter but it made a cleaner looking stump so I sloped it. Nothing going to be hurt in the bush. I think I would like to see a few more pictures of his work before I hired him though.

Weather he was pulling the whole tree or just a 15 foot piece the cut was still wrong and any so called tree service expert would know that. I have no issue with an inexperienced cut but I do have an issue with every guy in town with a chainsaw is trying to make money off these dead ash trees. Pick and choose what you want to cut but eventually someone will agree to the high price and your up shirts creek without a paddle.

Yea if there nothing around and you have to cut one tree to save another then do whatever is necessary. If this guy shows up and drops a tree on my house then what lol.

Or... could be like this with too wide of a face cut....

KkvULU5.mp4

Any one can call themselves what ever they want. In MD you have to have a 4 year degree in a related field, or 8 years in the industry, to qualify to take the MD Tree Experts Test. It's against the law to use the word "expert" on your trucks, cards, or advertising, if you have not passed the test and posted insurance. Many states have no laws as to what a tree expert is. If you have a 68 F150 and $139 to buy a wild thing, you da man. Saying that's what insurance is for, try again. Or, more specifically, that's what your insurance is for. Scroungers here have stated they were going to get insurance just in case they screw up? Try walking into an insurance company and saying, I got a saw, I got a farplace, I want some surance case I fork up. Ain't gonna happen. Insurance companies don't insure idiots, and they do know the difference. Years ago, I think on our injury fatality forum, someone posted the news clip of a renowned surgeon that was killed on his estate felling dead trees for fire wood. Every reference to him in the article said he was an "Expert" at felling trees because he had been doing it for 30 years. He was a renowned surgeon, he had degrees, he had licenses, insurance, credentials, board certified. He was an EXPERT SURGEON. When it came to trees he was just another hack, He had no training, had never worked in the industry, he just had enough money to buy a saw. He had been lucky for 30 years, doing it wrong, and it finally caught up with him.

I used to point out when guys were doing something really dangerous, but caught so much flack, I just said to heck with it. The most common response was,"You don't know what your talking about", "I've been doing it this way for years", just like the surgeon. I do have papers from U of MD, and the State of MD, and the Insurance company. But, on the internet, my voice is no different than the guy making that stupid back cut. My little rant is over.

I think you might be right. Maybe they think if it closes up it won't come back? I don't know. I do know, when I took the MD Tree expert Test, you would have failed that question.
On BC Fallers series that is also a BIG no no.

It's no different than a "handyman" anyone can get the insurance and start doing plumbing and electrical and all the other skilled trades. Each trade takes an expert in that trade to do it correctly.
But, in MD anyone can't get Insurance to do tree work. There is a MHIC, Maryland Home Improvement Certification, that landscapers, lawn men, carpenters, most any trades men have to get, on top of their respective licenses or certifications. The MHIC specifically does not include tree work. If you have insurance under the umbrella of the MHIC and have a claim doing tree work, it will not be covered.

To get insurance to do tree work, you first have to pass the MD Tree Expert Test. You take your Certificate to the insurance company. They give you a copy of your policy, and you take that back to DNR, they, then give you your license and number. When I got out of the business our license number was 48. The numbers are now in the thousands. It's a bit of a catch 22, you have to take the test first, then get the insurance, then get the license. You can't get one without the other.

People in unregulated states say all of our regulations are stupid. All they have to do is pay for a $10 business license and they can do any thing they want. I lost a lot of faith in our system several years ago when they took the tree ID out of the test. But, I'll take it any day over states that allow someone with a 3rd grade education and $10 get a license. We still have to know basic law, for judgement's on right of ways, who's insurance pays if the tree blows over from my yard to your house, geology for sub soil conditions, pests, diseases.

Just for kicks, if my tree falls across your fence, your car, and your house, who's insurance pays, and why?

There is one caveat, I'll get into that later.

Yep, I did a quick search for NY and could not find any qualifications. NJ kept popping up, so they may have specific regulations. I did find, in NY, if you hire an uninsured worker and they damage something your insurance is liable, and that gives your insurance company just cause to drop you. If the person you hire does not have comp insurance, and gets hurt, you again are liable. The first recommendation was you get the hacks insurance and call them to confirm they still have coverage.

Not sure but I think in PA if you have a tape measure and a pencil you’re a contractor. You have a Wild Thing you’re a tree service. They tried to license all businesses in the state but around my area there are more fly by night tree services than there are mosquitoes. MD sounds like it’s pretty well watched.

The long and short of it is, I’m retired, to keep my license I’d have to keep my insurance. The license is cheap, the insurance is not. To make enough money to pay the insurance I’d have to work full time. To work full time I’d need the help I let go, and the equipment I sold. So I wouldn’t be retired. So, even though I have fancy framed certifications and such, I’m just another uninsured hack, that knows how to write an estimate in complete sentences, with capitol letters and periods.

Latest posts

Back