Tree service guy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We have about 350 feet of power line right away that services our home only. We got notice from the power company a crew (contracted) was going to come and trim the right away.
Fellow shows up this morning and says he is going to servey what they need to do. I tell him that there are about 7 or 8 dead elm along there. Since iI burn fire wood just top the trees so I can safely take them down if they don't want to do it so I can salvage the fire wood. I quickly put my shoes on and meet him at the transformer pole then walk the line with him as we each point out trees that should come down and which only need a trim(the Pines.).

Is odd how they do it, always before the trucks came in and cut and trimmed all the trees in the right away and left. this company sends this guy to servey the line and every tree that is supposed to come down is marked in the computer and a print ran of them with the discription. Fill out a form and have me sign it is OK to do the work.

I would have asked for any wood they wanted to get rid of but when I mentioned I burn fire wood he said I do to.So I didn't ask for any extra wood as I figured he would take any extra.

Al

We have about 350 feet of power line right away that services our home only. We got notice from the power company a crew (contracted) was going to come and trim the right away.
Fellow shows up this morning and says he is going to servey what they need to do. I tell him that there are about 7 or 8 dead elm along there. Since iI burn fire wood just top the trees so I can safely take them down if they don't want to do it so I can salvage the fire wood. I quickly put my shoes on and meet him at the transformer pole then walk the line with him as we each point out trees that should come down and which only need a trim(the Pines.).

Is odd how they do it, always before the trucks came in and cut and trimmed all the trees in the right away and left. this company sends this guy to servey the line and every tree that is supposed to come down is marked in the computer and a print ran of them with the discription. Fill out a form and have me sign it is OK to do the work.

I would have asked for any wood they wanted to get rid of but when I mentioned I burn fire wood he said I do to.So I didn't ask for any extra wood as I figured he would take any extra.

Al
the wood, is on YOUR property.. id of told him to flake off

Al
I had a similar experience and was told by the estimator guy that the pre-inspection was done to protect the property owner and the line maintenance company from shady subcontracted cutting crews.

Turns out these crews were running side businesses and trying to convince homeowners that they needed trees removed that weren’t part of the “free removal agreement“ but the’d do it cheap and pocket the cash.

Good luck. I have about 1500 feet of utility line through the woods, and the power company consider it all private, and my responsibility to hire and pay for any trimming that I might need/want. They also consider it my responsibility to hire private contractor to restore service(s) should any tree fall across the lines. I have found that quite a few of the younger/hungrier company lineman have after hours businesses and will trim or repair as necessary. Some went together and bought bucket trucks, others just rent whatever equipment they might need.

I actually called the power company to request they send their tree service crew to remove a few ash from my property. I've been hit hard by EAB and if the power company doesn't take them I'll have to pay someone to do it as I'm not messing around with trees right next to the power lines myself.

Latest posts

Back