Tree stump removal with chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
An elderly neighbor is asking me if I can remove a stump left behind after a tree crew took down a 24" diameter maple. He dug around all the roots so the stump is pretty exposed. There's about a foot of wood above grade. Other than not running the chain into the dirt and rocks, are there any good tips for making this job go as smoothly as possible?

I cut stumps all the time and I only use 1 chain. just keep cutting and if your wot for more than 5 minutes give the saw a little break and keep going.

Assuming that you have access to a long (6’ ish) metal bar, drill a hole in the middle of the stump as deep as u can and the same diameter as the bar; push the bar in and the extra leverage will make the job go a lot easier. Axe and sabre saw better tools than a chainsaw for this job, or any shite Husqvarna :laughing:

Excellent tips. I have a Sawzall and long metal bar, so I can try those tools to see how it goes. Thanks for the help guys!

You want a 20" (minimum) to 24" bar. Use a steel brush to clean the exterior/bark as much as possible--the least bit of mineral material will dull your chain in an instant.

As you're cutting thru the stump, drive a felling wedge or two into the kerf behind you. This will reduce stress on your bar and chain.

No matter how you do it, stump cutting at or below grade is always a *****: hard on chain, hard on operator.

I heated my house wth an axe when I was young. I know axes and what they do. You'll weary yourself unnecessarily using an axe here.

Saw through the stump as low as you can. If you need to do more beyond that, rent a stump grinder.

Assuming that you have access to a long (6’ ish) metal bar, drill a hole in the middle of the stump as deep as u can and the same diameter as the bar; push the bar in and the extra leverage will make the job go a lot easier. Axe and sabre saw better tools than a chainsaw for this job, or any shite Stihl :laughing:
Fixed it for you:D

I’ve cut plenty of stumps below grade, dig about 4” below grade, then use an axe to debark the cutting area,then a hose on low to clean sand out before cutting, also I hold the chainsaw at a slight angle towards the center of the stump while cutting.

I just shovel around the stump, and use an axe, or a cheap hand saw for wood working, there cheap, and the hardened teeth last surprisingly well in the dirt.
Also good for cutting dead wood in a tree too.

Cutting in the dirt with a chainsaw is just an exercise in frustration, cutters go blunt instantly, and the dirt is hell on the bar and saw.
Washing stump with hose is a good idea tho.

Latest posts

Back