Tree well/ burried stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roscioli

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a ************ guy that posted earlier about a customer's tree that was burried in a bank from a new septic, and today, dug it out by hand. The slope is steep, I dug the highest side out about 4-5 feet, and the lower side only a foot. I still haven't reached the root flare. I estimate that it is about another foot or two down. Should I keep digging? It is nearly impossible at this point, very rockey and just generally tough to dig. Will stopping now defeat the purpose, or would uncovering 3-4 feet of the trunk help enough? If you remember the last post, this tree was burried for 3 years, and shows no sign of damage yet.
Then, after, I either have to build a retaining wall (very tough to do in this location), or fill this in some other way to prevent erosion. The customer wants to fill it with 1" stones, and build a trench for drainage. Would that help or hurt? Thank you guys very much, Michael Roscioli

After 3 years, I would leave well enough alone. Sure, the dirt around the trunk is bad for the tree, but rocks aren't any better. Sure, the extra dirt has compacted the soil and buried the roots, but the tree has spent 3 years sending new roots into the new dirt. After this much time I'm afraid you will do just as much harm as good. Tell him to save his money torwards the removals in a few years. ;)

I agree with 165. Set up a regular schedule for basal inspections to look for root rot and decline in the crown. Pay attention to the terminal growth increments. Has there been a decline over the past few years? look to see if it is slowing down further next season, and so on till it needs to come down.

The tree may have started sending out adventisiouse roots, that may eventualy girdle the tree. These may also support it while root rot slowly takes out the buttress underneeth. Write a brief report that stating that;

There is an increased risk of failure with the situation, no signs of decay or decline are visible but may exist under the surface. Removal and replacement is an option to remove the risk of failure and removal when rot is appearent may increase the cost of removal.

Keep a file for KYA so that if it does fail you have documentation of the comunication. send by certified mail, of hand cary and get a sig. on your file copy.

Back