tree work for neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not rent a chipper, charge him $1500 and pocket the cash on top of putting the wood in your yard?

I could look at chipper prices, and give him a few options. I thought of saying a grand if he wanted to keep the wood.

I wouldn't ask for money but if the guy were to give me some gift cards for restaurants, chainsaw store or something I might be interested. I also think that if the guy is capable then maybe you could just involve him a little more, have him rent the chipper and be the grunt? Last clean up job I did I didn't fare so well, ended up being a much bigger job that I expected so I'm a little leary of these jobs.

I did ask for advice, that's true.

As noted though, there is nothing I can possibly damage nearby. No wires, no buildings, no driveway. Therefore, I have to assume your referring to me suing him if I get hurt. Maybe you wouldn't take that insinuation personally, but I do. I have more character than to sue someone over something I did. Im trying to get a little wood and save the guy some money. That's all.

What if you die and your family sues him?

But Id make the offer... Worst he can say is no, the tree company puts the trees on the ground and you get the wood.

I don't think it maters what we think, you have to do what you feel is right. But if it was me I would let him take care of it and offer to take the wood like you have done before. If he uses wood you could give him some split or cut to length.

Jobs like this get done all the time by neighbors. The neighbor is the one taking the risks. Massachusetts might have some laws about professional arborists (which you are by accepting $$$) including liability and workers comp coverage. It's up to you and the neighbor whether to break them or not. Liability issues would be you getting hurt (now you can't work, dead, house is going into foreclosure due to lack of income, wife pissed because she needs to move into a 30 year old travel trailer), lots of desperation lawsuits out there. How about another neighbor (or child) wandering into the work area, attracted by the noise, and getting hurt. I can go on with scenarios, all unlikely to happen but that's why contractors carry liability and workers comp.

I'm not going to get into the liability issue but make sure you're on the same page as far as what constitutes a competed job.

They're charging $2500 and taking care of the brush, if I were to quote that job most of the cost would be brush and handling.

I've known and worked for folks that found the idea of burning a brush pile absurd. They're out there.

I would sort of think it depends a little on how well you know him.

I cut for friends and family

I understand the risks I am taking and I choose to take them.

as long as you choose and understand the risks and he knows what he is getting.

I will say I would ask he work with you , if your comfortable with that he puts some sweat into it .
it may just be pulling the brush into piles that you can easily pick up with the forks and move to the bigger pile.

having them out there working with you changes the dynamic , it all looks easy form the house window , not so much when they are breaking a sweat and you are making it look easy.

if he isn't the kind of guy who will work beside you , then I wouldn't do it. unless maybe he was old or some how physically disabled but then why would he be building a large garage to work in.

maybe the best way to say it is , I think everyone here has been soured by experiences with people and that is where the hesitation comes from.
we can't judge his character over the internet and that is what you need to do.

Post 1 states no removal in bid. Not even the chipped brush? If chances are you end up with the firewood anyway why bother?

Burning might be a zoning related thing. What is this 2 acre lots? The brush could be taken to your lot.

A contract for something not licensed to do? I can see something on paper however suggesting an actual contract?

I will say I would ask he work with you , if your comfortable with that he puts some sweat into it .
it may just be pulling the brush into piles that you can easily pick up with the forks and move to the bigger pile.

having them out there working with you changes the dynamic , it all looks easy form the house window , not so much when they are breaking a sweat and you are making it look easy.

if he isn't the kind of guy who will work beside you , then I wouldn't do it. unless maybe he was old or some how physically disabled but then why would he be building a large garage to work in.

maybe the best way to say it is , I think everyone here has been soured by experiences with people and that is where the hesitation comes from.
If nothing else, establish a safety perimeter with some caution tape and have him patrol that perimeter, making sure that the neighborhood kids don't find their way into the path of a falling tree.

Post 1 states no removal in bid. Not even the chipped brush? If chances are you end up with the firewood anyway why bother?

Burning might be a zoning related thing. What is this 2 acre lots? The brush could be taken to your lot.

A contract for something not licensed to do? I can see something on paper however suggesting an actual contract?

The bid he received was to cut the trees, chip the brush, and take the wood off site. He did mention wanting to keep the log length. I'm not sure what for, as he doesn't burn wood other than in his fire pit outside.

His lot is about 1.5 acres. Mine is 21 acres. Burning would require a brush permit through the town Fire Dept.

He's about my age. I believe he said he was 42 in a previous conversation. I'm sure he'd help if I asked.

I'm not going to get into the liability issue but make sure you're on the same page as far as what constitutes a competed job.

They're charging $2500 and taking care of the brush, if I were to quote that job most of the cost would be brush and handling.

I've known and worked for folks that found the idea of burning a brush pile absurd. They're out there.

Not me. I always off ther either come back and burn the brush piles or leave for nature. No one yet has asked me to leave them.

If it is a reputable tree service that is carrying liability and workman's comp insurance it is not the same deal and can wind up costing the neighbor much more than the 2k he is saving if sirbuildalot gets hurt while doing the job.

I agree, these days word of mouth and a hand shake wont hold up in court is he decides to sue for any damages. Even small damages, like torn up grass, ruts where you skidded the logs. Liability should de your biggest concern.

Not me. I always off ther either come back and burn the brush piles or leave for nature. No one yet has asked me to leave them.

That's my point.

Most people would want the person doing the job to remove it completely. Especially the city slickers.

Trapper Pete has a point about him sitting looking out the window and thinking it's all easy peasy and you are getting a heck of a deal and then grumbling later. On the tornado job I did, I quickly realized I was in way over my head quickly. I spent a day in my shop and made a grapple for my manure tines so I could clean up all the brush easier. The owner came over as I was moving pick up truck sized piles in the grapple and said "man you got it easy". I reminded him that the tractor was $25,000, Truck was $10,000, trailer to get it there was $8,000, chain saws were $3000 and I was getting $1000 worth of wood. I think you need to let him help out.

I’d do it for the wood and $500 just like what your talking, sounds like a winner. Unless your a wealthy guy they probably wouldn’t sue you if something went south. Help your neighbor and make some cash. If he is the lawsuit type stay far away!

I used to do a ton of tree work when I was in high school and college, some of it was stuff a kid had no business doing at all. But hey most Homes in the town I grew up in we’re worth less than 20k so it’s not like folks we’re gonna pay a tree service 2500 to take down a tree id do for $200. I’ve had some trouble before, one time I downed a 60’ live pine that was in a sensitive spot, the tree service quoted 2500 and I told the guy 750. I put my old Chevy in 4 low and gave the idle screw a twist so it put tension on the tree, cut 2/3 threw it and drug it down in the street. Hooked onto the big end and drug it to my pile. Guy was not happy with what I charged him for a job I did in 5 min and called the law on me for dragging the tree down the unpaved road. The law thought it was funny, I did not, but my dad made me go sweep up the guys yard like I always did to finish up, the guy wouldn’t even talk to me. I usually was better off just offering my dump pile to the tree service, many times I made as much as I would have charged for a job by letting them dump the wood on me. Especially if it was pecan I really liked that!

Another was a vacant house with lots of big mesquites the guy wanted trees gone and I was hauling to the wood yard green mesquite anyway. We made a deal I’d cut the trees down and pile the small brush in the back for $50. They were very good trees, convenient spot for me and all. I cut up about 3/4 of the trees and then stirred up a hive of bees in the butane tank lid. My brother got bit 20 or so times and me 10 maybe. I told the guy to get rid of the bees and I’d finish and he told me that was my problem he was not paying for that. I went back after dark when the bees were asleep and loaded the wood I cut. The guy ran me down all over town and then had the nerve a year later to tell me the bees were gone and he’d give me the $50 if I finished.

Most folks are happy to get a good deal though. I did a 48” dead mullberry for an old lady a couple years ago. It was over her house and threatening to fall. She was in the rest home and I knew she had basically zero money. Tree service quote 5k. I told her nephew that I grew up with that I’d cut it down for $50 and he buys the beer and helps load it up, but no promises on of it would hit the house. House was worth only 5k anyway. I stole a sky track from a friend and got my brother to lift me in the bucket to limb the tree. He was knocking some limbs off with the bucket and broke the tree down the center. It hung on the bucket and he let half of it down to the ground. Pushed the other half down with the bucket after that. We cut it in 15’ pieces and loaded them up and off we went. I did road the sky track to the nearest ditch and put 2 buckets of dirt in the giant hole where the stump was. That was a fun one. But I knew the folks enough to know they wouldn’t sue me if the house got damaged, mainly because I don’t have anything to take!

I ran into what Cantoo describes a lot as a contractor. I’d quote a roof job by the number of squares, and we’d typically strip and shingle 2 squares an hour with 3-4 guys depending on the pitch. At the end ....and not UNTIL the end of the job, I’d get the complaint about the price. They always seemed upset that it didn’t take longer, as if us working our asses off rather than a slower crew taking breaks and stretching it out made the job worth less. I explained the roof is X amount of squares, and you agreed to X amount based off that. A lot of other guys charged hourly, but milked the job. People are ignorant at times. They see a lower hourly rate, and neglect the total bill at the end. That’s honestly my biggest fear, that this neighbor will see it done in 4 or 5 hours, and calculate the hourly rate and say I screwed him. To which I’d quickly point out, you were about to pay $2500 and it still would have been done in a half a day. Not to mention my equipment enables me to go quickly, which isn’t cheap to own or maintain. I think telling him $500 only if he helps will help make him feel like he got a better deal. Not too concerned about any lawsuits.

Back