ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Trees falling over from too much rainfall

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by old CB, May 28, 2019.

1. old CB

old CB ArboristSite Operative

Was just reading about the Arkansas River way over flood stage in Oklahoma & Arkansas. I lived in Oklahoma for a long time, so am familiar with the issues. One thing was mentioned: someone died when a tree fell over on their house. Probably not from wind.

For many locales in this country such an event might seem incomprehensible. Here where I live now you get blowdown, where wind overcomes a tree's root system and blows it over, the root system coming up in plate fashion.

But in Oklahoma with its deep prairie soils, days and days of rain can turn any soil to a soupy consistency. Try to stand up a stalk of broccoli in a bowl of soup--it falls over. In normal soils, a tree resembles a stalk of broccoli stuck in cold peanut butter--it's not going anywhere. (I get this analogy from my daughter who didn't like broccoli as a kid--she called it "tree stumps.") But I've seen large trees, especially open-grown oaks with a wide canopy, roll slowly over when the soil holding them becomes soup.

2. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Honor GOD, Country and Corps

Yup, when the soil turns to runny oatmeal even deep roots have little to hold onto. At that point a gentle breeze or even the trees own weight can do it in. Right now so much of the midwest, big muddy Mississippi and Missouri areas are under water. Keep your powder dry boys...

SeMoTony and stihlaficionado like this.
  3. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    A friend had an apple tree go over like that. Full of apples and we had a LOT of rain. On the plus side, I got a nice load of apple wood for my smoker.

SeMoTony and anlrolfe like this.
  4. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

My property is so soggy we can’t drive on it the water table is at the grass level. I can’t get my firewood delivered because it’s so wet. We finally got a break to cut the grass.
    No lost trees yet.

TheBrushSlasher likes this.
  5. arboristlove

arboristlove ArboristSite Lurker

Even in Ontario Canada we are finding the same issues in terms of the soil remaining moist for a longer duration. I read a report that since they began tracking moisture levels it's been the highest since 1970. Not surprising that the whole continent would find itself in a similiar situation.