Trees you like, Trees you dislike.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dead locust are the absolute worst to chip.....

and as for cottonwoods being the tree-of-heaven....:monkey: anything that smells like wet dog and horse stables when you cut it should not be the official tree of eternal happiness lmao

??

Cottonwood is populus genus, Tree of heaven is ailanthus

One common name for black cottonwood (either sub species of female, I don't recall) is "balm of gilead"

Them trees have some huge acorns. One of them would knock ya out if it fell on the head.:dizzy:

You were right I have always been told those were overcup
but burr has the enormous nuts:clap: Thanks horticopia!

One tree that I like as long as I don't have to clean up is monkey puzzle!
The ultimate tree I have been looking for all my life is, a money tree parents used to talk about :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Allright Rope, I am really dumb when it comes to the names of certain trees,will you please explain what a monkey puzzle is.:dizzy: And i would also like to find that that money tree too.:cheers:

First you were right on the burr oak, the monkey puzzle is the tree
that looks out of place has a fern like but not really leaf with sharp
tips at ends of small leaves non native! Green all year!
The reason I got the overcup idea is my boss at first
electric had a baseball sized acorn setting on his desk
and he told me it was overcup, I did not check until now!

Last edited:
Anothe cool tree I would like to see they call monster tree I think
they are in florida glades and easy to see why they are called monster
tree a bigfoot could easily hide in the knees! Banyon tree is another
name for them!

wondering why the bradford pear made it into your dislikes???

bradford pears are cute ornamentlas, but homeowners dont know (our biggest problem for all trees) that they need to be trained. if left unchecked most bradfords develop a 5 foot or so trunk, with 90% of limb growth on a single crotch.

10 Limbs + 1 Crotch + 1 Ice Or Windstorm = MASSIVE Failure

Hi im a newbee to this site and forum lark

on the dislike front ive just come back from a job in a wealthy part of london and had to dismantle an acacia, jesus they are evil, thorns like a bobcat ripped me to bits ground crew were cheased off when they saw the job for the first time. sorry pseudoacacia you americans produce one evil tree i think it's called a honey locust
i really like laburnum even great focal point tree for a garden when in flower.

Husky 262xp, Husky 365 special, Stihl MS200t, Stihl 260
keeping the Husky, Stihl balance

Last edited:
Anothe cool tree I would like to see they call monster tree I think
they are in florida glades and easy to see why they are called monster
tree a bigfoot could easily hide in the knees! Banyon tree is another
name for them!

sounds like some of the huge ficus down in florida. TERRIBLE to remove. as many as 50-100 individual trees growing together intertwining every 6 inches.
Imagine a 30' base of corckscrew willow all growing together wraping around each other. NIGHTMARE work

I cant belive no one has named the leylandii as their least fav tree i just cant stand the things! The amount of them that get out of control here is crazy and when you trim them back they look terrible

+1 on the monkey puzzle i dont know how they grow with you guys but the few that are here seem to be fairly big!

Trees

I have no problem using the word hate when refering to these trees. Black locust, thorned honeylocust, ailianthus, sumac, ash, silver maple,any kind of spruce and eastern white cedar. On the other hand I have no problem using love with these trees, all oaks even a pin oak as long as I am not climbing it), eastern white pine, dawn redwood, baldcypress, sugar maple, stewartia, larches, zelklova, american elms, any kind of beech escpecially a cutleaf beech, red maples, and last but not least the mighty hemlock my favorite of all trees.

Just want to say i do appreciate all the responses here.:clap: I have learned about different types of trees and what they actually look like. I would look it up on the internet when someone would list a tree i never heard of. I pretty much know the hardwood trees that are found in this area. There are a lot of trees that most people will never see or hear obout, but you guys have probably seen them all and help us newbies identify them. Once again Thanks for the education.:cheers:

Last edited:
California black oaks is a great tree. They are the tree I learned to climb on. The timber company I work for has them all over, so I would use them to practice climbing and dead wood pruning. They are as strong as nails, and have a nice form for climbing. I like the Oregan White Oaks also. The are kind of a dryer site tree, and are really slow growers, but if you do a proper prunning cut, it seems like it will heal over faster than any other local tree. They are great for learning proper prunning technique because you can see your results in a year or two and whether or not you did a good cut. But sugar pine is my favorite tree. Can't beat the form and beauty of an old growth sugar pine in the distance. The blister rust has hit them pretty hard, but there are some resistant trees. One of my projects I do for fun is collecting cones from trees that seem to have resistance, and planting them in clearcuts.

I like most trees, but my favourites are Western white pines, dawn redwoods and katsuras. I like monkey puzzles if I don't have to work on them.

The only tree I really don't like is Lombardy poplar.

I've never been exposed to some of the trees that others have defined as dislikes, so my dislike list may expand in the future.

ailanthus altissima. or chinese sumac.

Since some of you guys don't know about these trees, I thought I would explain why they are a detested tree: They throw seeds all over, and grow faster than crabgrass. They seem to spread laterally and send up shoots that also grow, but it may just be the seeds. On top of that, they are a messy tree that drops twigs and branches all over the yard. Being a fast growing tree, they are weak, dangerous to climb because the branches break unpredictably and don't hinge worth a darn, and they outgrow and out compete much more desireable trees. The firewood off these trees won't even burn, unless you pitch it in a fire that is already going.

They have almost smooth bark with nearly no ridges, so don't even think about putting a spur in them unless you plan on getting rid of it.

Oh yes: They have a foul odor to the leaves. The wood is wet and heavy, hard to haul to the chipper because the smaller branches break off as soon as you grab them. Twigs have no strength at all, and make an awful mess on the ground that is nearly impossible to rake up after you drop them to the ground. Bring a shovel to every removal.

One thing can be said for them: if all the other trees planted in an area died because of poor soil, lack of water, etc: plant one of these, then add some money to your budget for tree trimming.

Last edited:
do you know the names of said wasps, id kinda like to look into this

Braconid wasps. Generally considered a gardeners best friend, because they parasitize insect caterpillars.

Here is an excellent short story about the catalpa worms and the wasps, imbedded in this article: http://hcs.osu.edu/bygl/bygl2006_22.html
Look down the page quite a way to find the story.

Here is a better picture of one of the worms hanging in death from an infestation:

Latest posts

Back