Treeslaying Illinois style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rep the yankees first??????????

:dizzy::dizzy:

seriously, he made an impression, and shows promise. now we need to get him geared up. anybody want to help him with tooling up, he's worth it.
(he needs a cable lanyard, chaps and such, we will pay for, as we get ramped up.)
I see a lot of wannabe's in action, and it's good to get a guy that is born to climb, and might not know it yet........:cheers:

Good for you What-a-Stihl, sounds like you have a great opportunity there. Slayer great job taken him under your wing.

Tried to rep ya for it Slayer but it said I had to rep a few more yankees before repping you again. Some one hit Slayer off for me please.
Hey thanks Stihl-O-Matic, Yeah I feel pretty fortunate to learn from Slayer, I'd rep him for ya but I already gave 'em one. How about a slap on the back when I see him tomorrow?

What a stihl ya dip the right snuff wish I could let ya run my huskies so then ya might convert lol:cheers:
My father in law has been trying to convert me for a while now, I guess I'm hard headed.:cheers:-to two men who enjoy the fine taste of copenhagen

Coooooooooooopen hagen makes me feel so gooooooood cooooooooo penhagen

The way I know it should. We need to convert Slayer from cigar smoker to copenhagen dipper:drool: What do ya say Dave? I know what I'm saying, and that's "I need to get my :censored: to bed because we got a :censored:load of work to do tomorrow!" See y'all later

Back in the beginning of my tree exploits (not far from you in Hunterdon County NJ) I had it down pat after a while. All me and my fellow worker/party er would do was lay a rope over our 8 foot bed (all we had) and then put a couple full size limbs on the bottom, then more but they got hashed down with the chainsaw.....then

after the job filled up the truck, tie a running bolen on the load....back up to a tree somewhere, hitch the pile to a tree....and drive away at a high rate of speed. I am sure I am out of the statute of limitations. Feels good to get rid of that (lol) from my conscience. We were much too fast to get caught. We had piles all over the place.

One day a family goes by and sees us and I can see the husband and wife all upset about it. What are we gonna do? Well we went to get something to eat and, surprise, there in the restaurant is the couple nearby looking right at us and very nervous. No cellaphones then and they decided not to make the call I guess.

Whew, your bringing back some memories now. We would tie a 25' piece of old true blue to the trailer hitch, throw the V over the cab, pile it on then tie it down. We would tie it off to a tree on the short dump and let it rip. Just make sure you don't run over one of your chainsaws in your haste... Back then I was known to cut a couple of blocks off of limbs to set up under the leaf springs so we could pile more on... :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I missed the post but can you blame em for trying? Whatever he was trying that is.

I tell you though I would most likely be on CL advertising to come and chop down trees for wood if I had some other full time job that did not entail doing just that.
I would do something along those lines but I am in it for more than wood. I think for a lot of guys who work in other feilds ( not just blue collar either) the idea of wrangling a tree is just to tempting not to try.
I started looking for my own jobs in this with 6 mos experiance. That may be right or wrong, it is what is. I did always try to maintain a certain ethic... while I was short dumping under the Surekill Expressway.

Disclaimer: I never dumped anything under that highway, I drove under it to get to the place to short dump.

I was just thinking this morning about the time I knocked on this ladies door who lived around where I did. East Fall, right outside the city. There was this female ginko that was starting to die. I had watched the top peter out over a couple years and saw now that is what in fact dead but the lower trunk was alive.
She ragged me out good. First she said is wasn't dying just slow to break budd ( this was July) and then yelled at me for bothering her. I just hopped back into my truck and layed a little rubber for her.
to look back it wasn't a hard tree. I knew I could handle it , chop it down and take it under the Surekill no problem. I wasn't looking to charge a whole lot and she got Mcfarland to do it. I would have went to work for Mcfarland but I didn't understand Spanish.

Here's the trick Dano, You chuck the wood off as fast as you can. If the cops show you start chucking it back on the truck and tell them you are just scrounging for firewood. If they don't buy that you hand them one of your competitors cards and tell them I'm just working for this guy... :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey thanks Stihl-O-Matic, Yeah I feel pretty fortunate to learn from Slayer, I'd rep him for ya but I already gave 'em one. How about a slap on the back when I see him tomorrow?

Hell by him a beer AFTER work of course on me.

attachment.php

Wasn't he in that axman video ;)

I dunno looks like he has forgotten some things!:monkey:

rope , brain bucket,safety glasses:rolleyes:
I wear the helmet because its politically correct and the glasses cause pirates aren't cool anymore ,I wish that I had the option to 86 it sometimes , the only people I worry about are the poor boys down below, I haven't been hit in the head for quite some time:dizzy:

I wear the helmet because its politically correct and the glasses cause pirates aren't cool anymore ,I wish that I had the option to 86 it sometimes , the only people I worry about are the poor boys down below, I haven't been hit in the head for quite some time:dizzy:

Even if you were to be hit in the head it would just hurt what hit ya lol.

what a stihl used my velcro spikes and cable flipline today, climbing his first tree.
(no helmet, nothing to hit him) and reminded me why I love climbing pines and evergreens, making a mess for someone else to clean up.

young-un had me sweating, dragging all them limbs out from under him.:dizzy:

Last edited:
Back