Treeslaying Illinois style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your looking right at the picture, how can you say it "sounds" or looks like it's topped? Also what does topping a crabapple "sound" like? Then you say it's been lion tailed? I've never seen a lions tailed / topped tree other then after the next year when suckers start coming up from the topped sections. That tree looks fine. I'm new to this site and sadly I have to say it is filled with whiny arrogant people who do nothing but cut other people down.

Back on the OP. I got to use a Genie lift a couple years ago to do some tree work at Ft. Leavonworth VA Hospital. I had to trim some trees away from the building they were refurbishing so the construction company could get their trash shoots built up. The construction company already had the genie lift there so I got to use it. It was nice just driving from tree to tree and always being in the right position.

OK I guess i'm being a little hard on the dude. Topping, shaping are pretty much the same thing to me. When you post a picture with a company name "Firehouse Tree Toppers" how can you not expect to get negative feedback. BTW are we here to talk about typing skills or trees. You don't know me so how can you say i'm arrogant and I have news for you bro you just participated in the whiney arrogant people who cut others down.

Crab looks great, NCtree, how are you judging his pruning abilities from that picture. There is no before and after pictures or pictures of the interior structure of the tree. Many a time I have had to prune trees to the customers liking weather it was right or wrong the customer is the one paying the bills.

So if a customer asks you to top his maple tree knowing it will be the demise of the tree you will do it? I would try to educate the HO on the proper way to prune the tree and risks involved from bad pruning techniques. Maybe you should stick to pushing lawnmowers.

Sorry dude, but I don't understand why it was nice to have a lift on that crabapple. Seems silly.
By the way, I live in an area where if the word "toppers, topping" is well known with average citizens and a good chance of not working much.
Oh well, I just cannot understand a lift on that tree.
Jeff

I often wish I had a lift to use on smaller trees that I reduce and sometimes top. even for some shrubbery it would be good.

I'll say this one last time.

I don't TOP TREES.

about the crabapple:
this homeowner ( and she was a hottie) wanted me to cut the branches sticking up from the canopy, hence my description "shaping the canopy".

that would have a real pain in the arse, from inside the tree, and we have a lift.

I can take advice from people I respect, but those on here talking rudely, only get away with it from a distance. from their keyboard.

This is what I did today. what did your sissy ass do jeff or mctree, or that illiterate jackass tomtrees?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

and tomorrow I will crane this down.

attachment.php

Last edited:
That fire truck is great too. I see you actually use it. You all must have some serious fun. how high does the ladder go? Great idea, you must take it to parades and it must be good for promo.

Last edited:
First one looked like a Burr Oak. Had to go eh?
I can not tell what the second one is, but I probably would have a hard time arguing against removal. I liked the crabapple as long as the homeowner did, and fireblight was removed/remediated . I have actually turned down a crab by heading back upward branching. Try not to sweat the small stuff [crabapples], Save as many of the big bad boys as possible.

I'll say this one last time.

I don't TOP TREES.

about the crabapple:
this homeowner ( and she was a hottie) wanted me to cut the branches sticking up from the canopy, hence my description "shaping the canopy".

that would have a real pain in the arse, from inside the tree, and we have a lift.

I can take advice from people I respect, but those on here talking rudely, only get away with it from a distance. from their keyboard.

This is what I did today. what did your sissy ass do jeff or mctree, or that illiterate jackass tomtrees?

Good job! I too, would be curious with what they did today. Today I manually climbed and trimmed 3 medium size Silver Maples, 1 medium to large Shingle Oak, 1 medium size Pin Oak, and 1 medium size Black Cherry. All had suckers and mature 5" limbs growing between and over the nuetral and hotwire. The Black Cherry was engulfed with grapevine and took an hour of nothing but constant pruner pole nipping to get it safely away from the lines. Then afterwards I took down 3 Mockernut Hickorys on a residential gig. 2 medium to large size were set with a rope, notch and drop, The 1 medium to large Hickory that couldn't be notched and droped without the top being taken out first was dead and over a service drop and garage. Had to climb up, top out, with a lightning storm closing in, then notch and drop. The job got done, no one got hurt, and the people at both homes were happy. Just another day at work. Tommorow will be more of the same, and hopefully another safe one where I won't get jacked up like I did last year, or killed like my friends Uncle a year and a half ago.

Good job! I too, would be curious with what they did today. Today I manually climbed and trimmed 3 medium size Silver Maples, 1 medium to large Shingle Oak, 1 medium size Pin Oak, and 1 medium size Black Cherry. All had suckers and mature 5" limbs growing between and over the nuetral and hotwire. The Black Cherry was engulfed with grapevine and took an hour of nothing but constant pruner pole nipping to get it safely away from the lines. Then afterwards I took down 3 Mockernut Hickorys on a residential gig. 2 medium to large size were set with a rope, notch and drop, The 1 medium to large Hickory that couldn't be notched and droped without the top being taken out first was dead and over a service drop and garage. Had to climb up, top out, with a lightning storm closing in, then notch and drop. The job got done, no one got hurt, and the people at both homes were happy. Just another day at work. Tommorow will be more of the same, and hopefully another safe one where I won't get jacked up like I did last year, or killed like my friends Uncle a year and a half ago.

I think I saw that movie.

Some just don't brag to look for approval from others, and when others reply with quote's that are not liked by the poster, names are called. I am too busy to to tell you what I did today or yesterday or any day!
Get off your high horse and deal with real men!
Jeff

Some just don't brag to look for approval from others, and when others reply with quote's that are not liked by the poster, names are called. I am too busy to to tell you what I did today or yesterday or any day!
Get off your high horse and deal with real men!
Jeff

a real man does not sit behind a keyboard and insult a proven professional.

he does not nitpick the work of others he does not understand the details of.

he does not defend his actions as correct behavior.

I am regretting my interaction with you, you are not worth knowing.

Of course I look from approval from my peers, I am human. I do not consider it bragging, I try to maintain humility in my posts. I try to offer constructive criticism, and my history on here proves it. what are you providing ? besides drama, and discourse.
you however, want to insult and be rude to prove something.

the only reason you think you are too busy, (even though you manage to post trash anyway), is because of your over inflated sense of self worth.
you tell others what to do all day. do you climb? and help others feed their families?
no, you are management. sitting on your ass in a pickup, or the office all day. in the AC.

go back to kindergarten, and learn how to say something worth hearing, or say nothing at all. you offer nothing to this post besides ill will.

I think I saw that movie.

and you must be jeff's college roommate. You got anything good to say? besides how good you are, and I'm not? search my posts, others know me, and who vouches for you?

of the 1000 + people reading this thread, what have you enlightened them too? besides your disdain and disrespect for the mans uncle getting killed? I've known several people killed and even more maimed in this business, and people die in every hurricane I travel to. oh, but that a movie.

WTF?:confused::mad:

I feel sorry for your kids, what a piss poor role model. they will grow up to be bullies, to compensate for the abuse you must heap on them as well.

sadly I regret starting this thread, even though others can learn from those of us with experience, I work all day and usually derive pleasure from interacting with others who share my love of climbing.

This is not a competition. we are brothers, and do what very few can or will do. stick together, be courteous, or shut the F#%& up.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
and yes the fire truck is so f---ing cool!!

Its 100' and has a strong ass ladder which works well as a TIP, and runs like a scalded cat. 80 mph, easy. :jawdrop:

Of course, I choose to drive it when we are rolling all the equipment. everybody waves me thru the stop signs, and every girl waves back when ya hit that air horn.:hmm3grin2orange:
Oh yeah, the lights and siren work, too.

Last edited:
Back