Tricks of the trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two items are a must here, a BIG shop vise and some large commercial cookie sheets to keep **** from rolling off the bench and on the floor.I've built over 13,000 carburetors here since going full time in 2003, plus worked on butt-loads of small power equipment, transmissions, engines, etc. I can remember very few jobs where I didn't use one of my huge shop vises to hold something and I always use the cookie sheets to keep stuff where I want it.........Cliff

Is that a Corvette quadrajet? I had a '69 that I did many times.

I use either one of my HD show vises as a chainsaw vise. Just get a piece of aluminum flat stock and drill a couple of holes in it for the bar studs to pass thru. Takes about 2 minutes to accomplish that deal........Cliff

Quadrajet carbs, that takes me back.
One trick I found useful is taking pictures of a disassembly of something that is new to you, so convenient with today's digital cameras. Now where does this tiny little circlip go?

I big shop vise has many uses. One of mine is large enough to clamp a full size 1 ton truck axle tube in it while we rebuild the center section and set up the gear-sets. I can also use it as a press for some things like U-Joints.

The smaller one I use for chainsaws and have a piece of aluminum flat bar with holes drilled in it for the bar studs...but I seldom use it. Most of the time I put aluminum jaw covers in the vise and just clamp right to the bar that's on the saw........Cliff

One trick I found useful is taking pictures of a disassembly of something that is new to you, so convenient with today's digital cameras.

This is sure true.

I work on antique clocks as well. Pictures during disassembly of the movements sure makes the impossible possible in getting all the gears, pivots and springs back in the right places.

Back