Tricks to replacing of leaking hoses inside bucket boom?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kgw51gmc

94 c3500 hd boat anchor
Reaction score
I can id the hose just fine, it's the hose that raises the upper of the two cylinders. I don't see how to pull just one hose? Looks like I have to bundle together and label them carefully, then pull entire bundle thru the 17' top boom and 14' bottom boom sections, totally disconnecting everything?
How do you guys fish thru the boom? Electrical fish tape?
This is unknown brand, I doubt another exists in this world.

I can id the hose just fine, it's the hose that raises the upper of the two cylinders. I don't see how to pull just one hose? Looks like I have to bundle together and label them carefully, then pull entire bundle thru the 17' top boom and 14' bottom boom sections, totally disconnecting everything?
How do you guys fish thru the boom? Electrical fish tape?
This is unknown brand, I doubt another exists in this world.
Paracord or some strong cord just pull it through ,look for hold downs first.

I tied a small rope to line and pulled out. Had to take bucket off to get at hose end, and unfasten one end of upper cylinder to tilt it up to get at fittings. Huge pain but hopefully can put back together.

I use 3/4" PVC pipe to stick into the boom as far as I can(as a guide) and then run 5/16 accessory cord threw the PVC pipe so the cord doesn't get caught up so easily. Then tie off to which ever hose your pulling then pull PVC pipe off other end of rope and pull hose out/in. Beats fighting with the rope/cord/cable going threw the boom catching up on the hoses.

Excellent ideas everybody. I used the old broken line and pushed it through the boom and somehow it actually made it to the end of the Boom and I tied it and pulled it back through. I have another line leaking I think but I don't understand how it can keep dripping for a week. It might be residual oil from where I blew the line in the Boom. It doesn't seem to leak or bleed off when I run it up in the air. At $232 for one hose I hope there's no other hose is leaking

Wow, that's sounds a bit steep how long is the hose? And make sure your booms end caps are on or squirrels will find there way inside and then you'll be spending alot on hoses or mending hoses due to chewed lines. Ask me how I know this.... lol. I got the squirrel damage to about 5 hoses inside lower boom, but I didn't figure this out until I finished the repair job I was doing to the boom. I replaced the pivot sheave(elbow) component at end of upper boom that connects upper boom to lower boom( i have a drive cable lift). Anyway once I finally finished the job I was excited to test it out and see it move around after repairing it to find out it was leaking like heck. Then fixed 2 hoses that were chewed in half. Then found out I had 3 more with little chewed holes in other lines. Btw at this point I lost about 10 gallons of hydraulic fluid so that's already 80 bucks in fluid loss due to the squirrels then the 250 bucks for two new hoses at 25ft a piece and then another 100 bucks in fittings to mend the hoses that just had small chews. That's a total of 430 bucks cuz of tree rat damage. Keep those things outta there or your wallet will regret it.

yea you can get a few thou in hoses in a hurry on a tall machine.
i do jlg machines. drive set machines.
hoses on a 60 foot machine are pricy.
heck the list of guys who will work on them any more and are good at it is small.

I am lucky that we have a tractor place here that make good hose on the cheap.
they are 20 to 50 bucks cheaper than whole sale on jlg hoses without the month wait.

lol no one told me any of the repair stuff on this expensive gear was cheap!!

on your after oil, there are pockets from welding or just bolting together...
unless you flush the machine with diesel and then power wash it with a hot washer you will have left over oil for sure...
it sticks in every where..
and it will eat on hoses and electrical as well over time...
so you need to get it out of there.
dawn works ok with the hot washer...
use one of those power washer foam guns.
those work ok!

Mike- my hose was actually chewed in half, the booms were both packed with walnuts. The hose was big $, it was annoying because the hose shop, inside local Napa, raised prices overnight significantly.
Gold- I hate to hear oil deteriorates external of the hoses, that's bad news for me because I know there's no way to get booms thoroughly cleaned out.

Mike- my hose was actually chewed in half, the booms were both packed with walnuts. The hose was big $, it was annoying because the hose shop, inside local Napa, raised prices overnight significantly.
Gold- I hate to hear oil deteriorates external of the hoses, that's bad news for me because I know there's no way to get booms thoroughly cleaned out.
Power washer and some Castrol super clean will get the inside pretty damn clean.

1 thing I have done when you have new hose in hand while old hose in place. Connect new to old with a coupling or union same size as needed and pull old out ---guide in new hose through all old clamps,twist and turns...mechanics wire-rope connected to old hose at removal-install new on rope and pull back in..keeping pulled end straight is key-wrap in tape good... David--old cat mechanic :drinkingcoffee:

Back