Tricky Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
IMG_2398.JPG IMG_2397.JPG IMG_2398.JPG IMG_2397.JPG So this thing was leaning 3 different directions, first stem wasn't bad just had to tickle it a bit. The second one however I was trying to swing it, no go. So eventually cut the bottom of the stump to drop it. There might have been a little pucker factor involved.
It split down the middle was all rot in the centre.

Did the 2nd one end up laying in the other tree? I cut one like that last week but it didn't matter which way they dropped so I just let them go where they were heavy. It's easier to see now but I think if after you cut the 1st stem off you would have cut directly below it and cut right across to the crack and then cut your last stem, I think it might have fell where you were trying to wedge? In other words treat them as two trees seeing as the crack appeared to be right thru and down good and low. Easy to say from a desk though. Nobody hurt and you're still learning? Good job.

Did the 2nd one end up laying in the other tree? I cut one like that last week but it didn't matter which way they dropped so I just let them go where they were heavy. It's easier to see now but I think if after you cut the 1st stem off you would have cut directly below it and cut right across to the crack and then cut your last stem, I think it might have fell where you were trying to wedge? In other words treat them as two trees seeing as the crack appeared to be right thru and down good and low. Easy to say from a desk though. Nobody hurt and you're still learning? Good job.

The first one I fell out into the field, the second one I thought was leaning right back into the Bush but it wanted to go 90* to that. It sat back so I ended cutting at the bottom of the stump to get it to fall. You can see the butt end about 45* from the first stem on the ground.

I did a few maples like that a week ago I have more to do , two of them had 4 trunks each had a busted trunk already down and at least one partially rotten if not two and some top damage . but if the stump is rotten it is just a matter of time.

I have been using the bore cut and trigger method that way I can take my time setting up the hinge , especially when big .

Back