Tricky tree to take down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NvrDwn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So you can see this tree has a wicked angle. But this is a dangerous tree close to my pond and needs to come down and it will provide some good firewood. I'm a novice at cutting trees down with about 10 trees to my name. I can see this tree falling and then the end that I cut take a immediate left or right. Maybe a higher possibility of barberchair? I will clear a large area for escape. Any advice I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180408_181638.jpg
    20180408_181638.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 290
  • 20180408_181634.jpg
    20180408_181634.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 279
I'd make a shallow open face notch, bore cut the middle leaving a healthy hinge and a good sized trigger. Then I'd release the trigger from about 18" further towards the roots. With a sharp chain on a powerful saw and being ready to escape quickly. As long as I cut all the fibers that make up the trigger it should go, but the action of the fibers pulling part will slow the fall and hopefully give me plenty of time to get away.

I'm no professional. I have cut a lot more than 10 trees though, and I've attended a chainsaw safety course which was extremely informative. It's hard to tell from a picture, but I think I could do it safely. Can you? I have no idea. If you're at all in doubt if your ability, call someone who can put it on the ground safely.

I'd make a shallow open face notch, bore cut the middle leaving a healthy hinge and a good sized trigger. Then I'd release the trigger from about 18" further towards the roots. With a sharp chain on a powerful saw and being ready to escape quickly. As long as I cut all the fibers that make up the trigger it should go, but the action of the fibers pulling part will slow the fall and hopefully give me plenty of time to get away.

I'm no professional. I have cut a lot more than 10 trees though, and I've attended a chainsaw safety course which was extremely informative. It's hard to tell from a picture, but I think I could do it safely. Can you? I have no idea. If you're at all in doubt if your ability, call someone who can put it on the ground safely.
I have a brand new 26RS but it's on a 18 inch bar on a ms271. So 3.5hp people say the HD filter adds power, idk as this saw is new to me. I doubt it would make any real difference.

Incredibly dangerous tree. I would attempt to cut this tree sideways. Whichever side will work best. You still need to be just as careful, and be sure to have an escape route, but I think making your cuts on the side of the tree, it won't be nearly as explosive when it does go.

I have a brand new 26RS but it's on a 18 inch bar on a ms271. So 3.5hp people say the HD filter adds power, idk as this saw is new to me. I doubt it would make any real difference.

I'd leave the 271 in the garage and call a pro. Or leave the tree standing. I would not consider felling that tree with a small saw like that. You'll be standing around it WAY too long. This is a situation for a 70cc felling saw with a long enough bar to do the whole thing from the safest side.

I know exactly how I would cut that tree, but it's likely not the right way, or the safest way. I know I'd damn sure be ready to run. That's a tree with enough lean to it that when it starts to go, it's probably not going to stop until it hits the ground.

I know exactly how I would cut that tree, but it's likely not the right way, or the safest way. I know I'd damn sure be ready to run. That's a tree with enough lean to it that when it starts to go, it's probably not going to stop until it hits the ground.

I agree with that. My exit plan would be my most important part. That's more than a leaner that's a leaner then a spinner. Which way will it go who knows.

That's one of those one second cuts. One second it's standing the next it's falling fast. But at what point does it go from standing to falling. Pay very close attention and stay safe with an exit plan. And if it comes down to it ditch the saw and run they are pretty durable and a 271 is not that expensive. I've left one behind once or twice and they are fine they fall to the ground it's not worth trying to save or tripping over.

I agree with that. My exit plan would be my most important part. That's more than a leaner that's a leaner then a spinner. Which way will it go who knows.

That's one of those one second cuts. One second it's standing the next it's falling fast. But at what point does it go from standing to falling. Pay very close attention and stay safe with an exit plan. And if it comes down to it ditch the saw and run they are pretty durable and a 271 is not that expensive. I've left one behind once or twice and they are fine they fall to the ground it's not worth trying to save or tripping over.

I would likely make an undercut, depth of the bar, and then make my back cut. Wrong, likely. That's why I would be ready to run at any sign. I'm not getting creative with this tree, once it starts to move it's coming down, even if it barber chairs.

The first pop or sign of movement I'm out, hopefully the saw will be with me. If not I can likely fix it, no biggie. I'll probably have my phone video taping so everyone can dissect what I did or didn't do right and maybe get a laugh or two in as well.

The first pop or sign of movement I'm out, hopefully the saw will be with me. If not I can likely fix it, no biggie. I'll probably have my phone video taping so everyone can dissect what I did or didn't do right and maybe get a laugh or two in as well.

It's almost worth ordering a loop of square filed chain, just for that extra speed.

I would likely make an undercut, depth of the bar, and then make my back cut. Wrong, likely. That's why I would be ready to run at any sign. I'm not getting creative with this tree, once it starts to move it's coming down, even if it barber chairs.

I have alot of 70 footish ash trees on my property and have done some severe leaners the way you mentioned and it has worked but I'm nervous as all get out everytime. I did have one barber chair last fall and next thing I knew I was 50ft away behind a huge beech and the ms460 was laying where I dropped it,Saw didn't get hurt luckily but soon as I heard it crack I just ran like the wind.

You have fallen ten trees and your wife is 5 months pregnant - so let me be more blunt - leave this tree alone until you have more experience or get someone else to cut it. Thinking you can out react a barber chair is utterly ridiculous. Ron

Best answer. Only answer. Couldn't have said it any better.

There is nothing about this tree and a chainsaw that is funny at all. Not a laughing matter.

Latest posts

Back