Tricky tree to take down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine it would cost that much to have someone show up and make one cut and leave. But I'm also a man and don't like asking for help. Some times it's just easier if you let someone else do it. I had a couple windows put in on my house. I could have done it my self and i thought about it but it took them a day and they brought the windows and made it weather tight. It was the right decision in the end. It's ok to ask for help sometimes.

O and if you video it I would not post it because you will be picked apart. That's your choice though. Lol

Looks like ash and it will chair like lightning if you don't do it right . Like the kind of splitting you will not be able to react to. It will whip around hard when it hits the ground too. You try to bore cut that and you will definitely pinch your saw. I cut timber for a living and this one will definitely kill you if not done right. If I were you I'd hire this one out just to put it on the ground. And I don't mean bubba down the street. See if you can find a timber cutter (not an arborist) to drop it for you. Unless it's cracked or something I don't see how it's a hazard to leave stand. It's a pretty cool tree really.

Looks like ash and it will chair like lightning if you don't do it right . Like the kind of splitting you will not be able to react to. It will whip around hard when it hits the ground too. You try to bore cut that and you will definitely pinch your saw. I cut timber for a living and this one will definitely kill you if not done right. If I were you I'd hire this one out just to put it on the ground. And I don't mean bubba down the street. See if you can find a timber cutter (not an arborist) to drop it for you. Unless it's cracked or something I don't see how it's a hazard to leave stand. It's a pretty cool tree really.

I have alot of 70 footish ash trees on my property and have done some severe leaners the way you mentioned and it has worked but I'm nervous as all get out everytime. I did have one barber chair last fall and next thing I knew I was 50ft away behind a huge beech and the ms460 was laying where I dropped it,Saw didn't get hurt luckily but soon as I heard it crack I just ran like the wind.

Yup, I don't like doing them at all. Not that I've done a lot of bore cutting, but I don't like doing it in hardwoods, especially on a leaner like that. I've had some go earlier than expected, and some hang on for nearly the whole damn cut.

Best answer. Only answer. Couldn't have said it any better.

I 100% support this as well, I'm not a fan of leaners, just because I believe a tree should grow vertical, and crown out. I'll be taking one down today, fortunately I can get 50' in the air if necessary.

Definitely have a second person there. On dangerous trees it's nice to be able to watch your cut, and have someone watching the top of the tree. As mentioned though, if it doesn't NEED to come down, just leave it be.

Yes it is Ash. It hasn't cracked yet and I am not certain that it will. This tree has a lot of bend in it, the last snow here this tree bowed bad. It over hangs right at the edge of my pond that i use to hunt with. I've always been a little creeped out by the tree pulling it's roots out as the whole area down here stays soft. The chances of it falling and hitting me are slim. Smaller than me cutting it down and it hurting me that way. I just like feeling "in control" if you will. :dumb:
It would provide some good firewood for this next winter. If i were to cut it down i'd do it similar to the video, but with a larger back strap I think. The only concern i see (im no expert) is barber chair and the tree will likely swing left or right with the trunk once it lands. If I can reduce the risk of barber chair i'm not to afraid of the left or right movement as the tree wouldn't be coming back to me since all the weight is pushing it the other way. I would definitely leave my boots at home for this one and wear my trusty wrestling shoes. I feel like i can move at the speed of sound with those light things on. I don't have a lot of experience in cutting trees down, but not a single one has been a normal tree to cut down. Every tree has been dead, have some lean (no where near this bad) or rotten inside. A little bit of common sense and stupidity has kept me without a scratch so far. I can only pray for it to stay that way. I can be a bit stubborn because i do enjoy testing myself. :dumb:

Did you take on an Olympic wrestler on your eleventh time on the mat? Use your head man and put aside the pride that could get you killed or worse. Yes, I said worse. When I was your age a local guy took on a tree in his backyard and had some helpers. Tree hit him in the head. His pretty young wife spent the next twenty plus years visiting him in the nursing home wondering if he was conscious or not. He died young.

Don’t take that chance. You think you can out run a chair - the first warning you may recognize is a hit in the head. You think you know where the tree will bounce - there is not anyone on AS that knows for sure.

If you cut it and all goes well, those with experience will consider you lucky not skillful.

Ron

Did you take on an Olympic wrestler on your eleventh time on the mat? Use your head man and put aside the pride that could get you killed or worse. Yes, I said worse. When I was your age a local guy took on a tree in his backyard and had some helpers. Tree hit him in the head. His pretty young wife spent the next twenty plus years visiting him in the nursing home wondering if he was conscious or not. He died young.

Don’t take that chance. You think you can out run a chair - the first warning you may recognize is a hit in the head. You think you know where the tree will bounce - there is not anyone on AS that knows for sure.

If you cut it and all goes well, those with experience will consider you lucky not skillful.

Ron
I wouldn't expect anything different. No I can't say for certain how it'll lay down. Of course i have an idea, in my novice head all that weight pulling on the tree in that direction i would be surprised it went anywhere but that way.

On a side note, the more a tree leans, is it more or less likely for it to barber (in general, not as a rule)? I would think at a certain angle and weight it would have to be more of a "pull" than a "push" and that would cause the tree to react differently. Or is that all hogwash nonsense in my head?

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

Just thinking about the problem from a different angle...

What about digging up and busting up some of the roots opposite of the lean and opposite of the side you want it to roll after it hits the ground? Work slowly and be ready to bolt when the thing starts moving.?? Maybe???

(assuming that the tree is in a place where this could be done without risking damage to buildings or the lives of others)
If you want to be a YouTube sensation with a good "hold my beer and watch this" moment...

Would this be a good candidate for the application of some tannerite and a 200yd shot with your favorite and most accurate master blaster?? We know that if you cut it, the trunk is going to be a mess when it starts to break up. Why not blow the base of the trunk apart from a safe distance and behind some cover??

Again, just thinking outside the box?

Generally the more lean the more likely to chair. Hold something heavy straight arm over your head than slowly lower your straight arm down your side. A lot more strength is required as you go. Similar with the tree, the more the lean the greater the internal stresses.

Your tree poses not only the risk of chairing but also bouncing. Either of which can send you or your saw flying. A flying saw can be just as dangerous as the tree.

This is not an impossible tree just one you shouldn’t at your current level of experience take on. I have little doubt that with growing experience you will be able to size up and safely fall trees, even this one. But you got to work your way there all the while developing your judgment and proper reflexes.

No disrespect intended to any here, but if you are relying on armchair advice for a dangerous activity (and you appear to be), it is far wiser to listen to those who have been there and hold you back than those who haven’t and urge you on.

Ron

Incredibly dangerous tree. I would attempt to cut this tree sideways. Whichever side will work best. You still need to be just as careful, and be sure to have an escape route, but I think making your cuts on the side of the tree, it won't be nearly as explosive when it does go.

That's my first thought - if I'm reading right. Getting it to fall 90° to the main lean, with a big hinge. Still loaded with danger though.

A pole saw might be handy for the latter cutting.

But - hard to get a handle on scale & things from the pic. Like, how big thru is this thing say a couple feet off the ground? How high in the air is that major bend? Unless I missed it already said...

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

Just thinking about the problem from a different angle...

What about digging up and busting up some of the roots opposite of the lean and opposite of the side you want it to roll after it hits the ground? Work slowly and be ready to bolt when the thing starts moving.?? Maybe???

(assuming that the tree is in a place where this could be done without risking damage to buildings or the lives of others)
If you want to be a YouTube sensation with a good "hold my beer and watch this" moment...

Would this be a good candidate for the application of some tannerite and a 200yd shot with your favorite and most accurate master blaster?? We know that if you cut it, the trunk is going to be a mess when it starts to break up. Why not blow the base of the trunk apart from a safe distance and behind some cover??

Again, just thinking outside the box?

You know what, you are on to something. Maybe a box of SixFive will be enough to cause her to fall.

My only experience with tannerite was mixing the normal batch and I put it on top of a wood bench I have out there to shoot stuff off of. I hit it with my ak and blew my bench apart lol. If you have neighbors I would warn them before you mix a strong batch. If I were going that direction I may make a few relief cuts at the base to help out. Nothing to crazy. The only issue would be if it doesn't fall down then what. Now it has to come down.

I had a real big dead ash that could fall on my power lines if I cut it wrong. I let the wind take it down, that way I was not stuck in the middle of a big mess or dead. It fell in a nice spot and I cut it up.

I believe I have enough ammo to take'er down. I'm thinking of starting with 10 shots each direction. I may go an inch past the bark on the tension side to help her out a little

Ron

I got lucky today, real ****in lucky. Embarrassingly lucky actually. 40' up in the air over one of the woodsheds, was taking too much of a bite in the top of an oak tree, thought it would lean over instead of falling straight down. As soon as it started falling straight down I just seen it going through the top of the shed, right onto the tractor cab. Instead, one branch of the top caught in a crotch I had just cut, and another branch of said top rested on the platform of the lift. I shut the saw off for a few minutes, thanking whoever was watching over me for said luck. Normally I cut a branch so there's no crotch left, so nothing can get hung up. That plan of events must have been set in place before I even cut the limb before I tried taking the remaining top out.

Generally the more lean the more likely to chair. Hold something heavy straight arm over your head than slowly lower your straight arm down your side. A lot more strength is required as you go. Similar with the tree, the more the lean the greater the internal stresses.

Your tree poses not only the risk of chairing but also bouncing. Either of which can send you or your saw flying. A flying saw can be just as dangerous as the tree.

This is not an impossible tree just one you shouldn’t at your current level of experience take on. I have little doubt that with growing experience you will be able to size up and safely fall trees, even this one. But you got to work your way there all the while developing your judgment and proper reflexes.

No disrespect intended to any here, but if you are relying on armchair advice for a dangerous activity (and you appear to be), it is far wiser to listen to those who have been there and hold you back than those who haven’t and urge you on.

Ron

If that ash chairs anything like our alder does here on the west coast he’ll be lucky if it just kicks him 20 feet, a situation like that is where someone might put a little hurt on it then torch off another tree into the hazard tree some where that you have a safe get away. Lots of good fallers over the year have been sent into low earth orbit from chairs not to mention how many saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barber chairs often happen in a heart beat and when they do nobody is fast enough to get out of the way. They also happen with a tremendous amount of force.
I've seen a couple of slow moving barber chairs but they're rare. Figure on fast and be ready to run. If the saw is hung up or if it gets torn out of your hands don't worry about it. Get away from the tree.
Barber chairs don't always kick straight back either. As it starts to 'chair it can slab out at an angle and if that happens it can drop straight down where you're standing.
The slab doesn't always break completely off either. They can run quite a ways up the tree and just stop. Then, while you're standing there trying to figure out what's happening they'll pop loose and come down at you.
A 'chair will also break out sideways, hit trees next to you and you'll have stuff flying all over the place.
There's also kind of a double chair where the first slab breaks out while you're backing the tree up and just seconds afterward another, usually smaller, slab starts if your kerf is anywhere past the point where the first slab started.
A 'chair can happen in a face cut too. If you're falling real tall straight stems and the wind is moving the tree a slab can start when you make your first cut and then travel up quite a ways. It's rare for them to slab clear out but I've seen it happen.
These aren't things I've heard about or read about and they're not somebody else's story that I'm passing along. These things have all happened to me over the period of fifty years or so. They can happen to anybody and if you cut trees long enough they'll happen to you too.
Anybody who cuts for any length of time will have close calls and get the crap scared out of him occasionally. Anybody who disputes that is either lying to you or doesn't have enough sense to recognize a close call when one happens.

Latest posts

Back