Trimsaw Saddle Scabbard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomoco

Tree Freak
Reaction score
So I've been messing about with lithium battery powered trimsaws of late, and found them useful for pruning only so far. Pruning usually entails more scrambling about in the canopy.

As an old climber, I've scrambled about in thousands of trees using a bare bladed trimsaw, and the inadvertent contact with pants, boots and ropes has hardly been inconsequential.

It may have taken 45 years, but I've now seen the light, combined a modified 14 inch plastic blade scabbard with a bungee cord, attached to my saddle, to prevent any further inadvertent damage to my expensive stuff.

Anyone can do it for dirt cheap. I suggest a 16 inch scabbard with the nose cut off, to cover a 14 inch blade.

Weighs less than a pound, and brings great peace of mind.

I suspect there may be a few blokes doing this very thing already, but it's not a common industry practice IME.

I'd love to see Stihl or Husky design a top handle trimsaw with an integrated saddle snap hook, pinkie finger activated.

What say you lads?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jomoco

Not sure if Stihl is still making them, but my MS201T came with a scabbard that was supposed to be used while climbing. I tried it a few times, but never really continued. I used a small bungee cord to make sure I didn't drop it. I like the idea of not having a sharp chain dangling at my ankles, but hard to get used to the extra step of removing a scabbard before every cut.
How heavy is that saw?

Attachments

• stihl.jpg
    stihl.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 5
Not sure if Stihl is still making them, but my MS201T came with a scabbard that was supposed to be used while climbing. I tried it a few times, but never really continued. I used a small bungee cord to make sure I didn't drop it. I like the idea of not having a sharp chain dangling at my ankles, but hard to get used to the extra step of removing a scabbard before every cut.
How heavy is that saw?
They still make them. My new 201 came with that style

Latest posts

Back