Triple tree problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NANIRAINE

Reaction score
We have three~80 ft. oak trees growing out of a combined base. 1) with storms in the area (Aurora, KY) should we brace these trees 40-50 ft. from the ground together(like wireing bonsai) so that wind will not pull them apart, ruining all three by breaking one off?
2) There is a bowl shaped area where the trees meet which fills with water,leaves, etc. -we are concerned with possible rotting problems in this area although we have filled the space with concrete to keep the water, etc running off instead of collecting. HELP!

I am sorry to say that you definetely have a tree in decline. One the tree is already old, two the tree is very large and weak where it needs to be strong (at the base). Filling it with concrete might not have been the best idea. Now as the tree grows the concrete cant go with it. The tree when it was very small grew up with these three branches with one never being dominiate. So even as a young tree it needed help. Now where the water was collecting it was enevitable this area was going to have rotting problems. As far as cabling I dont know if you want to take that liability. This tree is rotting from the inside out. I know it probably has tons of character in the yard but I would have a hard time telling you that this tree should remain standing. My cousin in Ohio took that chance and she ended up rebuilding the house!!!! You might have an arborist do a visual inspection (as its very hard to give exact advise over the net) on a second opinion. Since its 80 years old I would have a difficult time parting with it also.
Good luck, I hope its not as bad as I think
Darin

3 oaks

I agree with Darin in that filling this tree with concrete was not the best idea. The #1 reason you do not fill with concrete is it actually traps moisture in the tree and accelerates the decay process. As Darin stated, you should have a highly qualified Tree Expert look at the tree. Not every multi stem tree should be considered a hazard. Cabling is definatly recommended. Plus you have to take into consideration the targets involved i.e. buildings, pedestrians, traffic etc.

Back