Trouble finding chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandCritter

Too weird to live, too rare to die
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why I can't find any new stihl 26RM 68 chain? All I seem to be able to find is 26RM3 and 26RS. Is it discontinued? Why would they only give you the option of the slowest possible chain and the quickest to dull. I know they made them at some point, there's one on my saw right now.....but I need a few new loops. Thanks in advance guys. Hope I'm not asking a stupid question and the answer is right in front of me somewhere. This is my first post here, been reading the forums as a reference for a while now.

I guess I should have worded my question differently. I am aware that a couple people have them on ebay. I was mainly curious as to why I cannot pick one up at any of the 3 local stihl dealers near me or buy them new at Bailey's when you would think they would be the most popular choice. I already said i was sorry for asking dumb questions. I also said it was my first post on this site not my first time using the internet. Obviously google was the first place I looked after brick and mortar stores. Ill just order some from eBay I guess and hope they see me through and not waste anybody else's time.

I guess I should have worded my question differently. I am aware that a couple people have them on ebay. I was mainly curious as to why I cannot pick one up at any of the 3 local stihl dealers near me or buy them new at Bailey's when you would think they would be the most popular choice. I already said i was sorry for asking dumb questions. I also said it was my first post on this site not my first time using the internet. Obviously google was the first place I looked after brick and mortar stores. Ill just order some from eBay I guess and hope they see me through and not waste anybody else's time.

The 26RM (possibly 26RMC) should still be available from Stihl but you'll have to order it. You should be able to get the exact xxxx-xxx-xxxx part number from the Ebay listings. Most dealers don't stock it as there is a "safer" (26RM3) type available to be sold to the non-professional public.

The dealers usually stock the 26RS as their "non-safety" chain. The issue with the RS is that it is full chisel and will dull faster and will require more material removal to re-sharpen. In other words, the dealers will sell a LOT of this so they keep it in stock!

If you haven't tried the RM3 you might want to give a loop a try. It is not nearly as bad as the "safety" chains of a decade or two ago. A cheaper alternative to Stihl RM3 would be Oregon 22BPX for about half the price.

Thank you very much for your reply, exactly what I needed to know. That is exactly why I steer clear of the RS. I do have a loop of the RM3 but I've been working a large red oak that fell last fall in the hurricane and the safety chain has got me ready to tear my hair out. Its throwing chips but goes nowhere in a hurry. Ill order some more 26RM this weekend. Thanks again.

Thank you very much for your reply, exactly what I needed to know. That is exactly why I steer clear of the RS. I do have a loop of the RM3 but I've been working a large red oak that fell last fall in the hurricane and the safety chain has got me ready to tear my hair out. Its throwing chips but goes nowhere in a hurry. Ill order some more 26RM this weekend. Thanks again.

Sounds like your RM3 loop needs a proper sharpening, including depth gauge adjustment if required. You might want to compare it freshly sharpened to the new loop of RM. I doubt that you'll notice a lot of difference.

BTW, Where are you in NC?

Idk, I've only run about 2 tanks by that RM3 since brand new, all off the ground. I sat down and filed it yesterday after work so if it quits raining ill try it again and see. Side by side with that RM (which has seen many filings and a lot of abuse) I was just not impressed. The rakers on the RM3 do look real high to me. Ill check this afternoon n see if maybe that's not part of it. Im about 30 mins north of Winston salem

Latest posts

Back