Troy Built Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eguinn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have seen these at Lowes and was wondering if these where any good ? Anybody know anything about them or use them? I know that their other products are usually pretty good as in the way that they are built and perform. Thanks, Ed

04ultra said:
Troybilt = MTD

Years ago Troybilt had good products..Not no more..

Any more it seems that about 90% of motorized power equipment at the big boxes is all MTD when you look under the hood.

MTD doesn't build crap as such, it just builds to their target, i.e., low to mid end equipment.

I bought a Ryobi rider a few years ago and discovered that it was all MTD. Not a bad machine when used as designed. Too bad I abuse it. Had to have some belt work done on it this winter as by the end of its third season it would barely move.

Harry K

I'm not a big MTD Fan, but I bought a used one out of the paper a few years back for $400. I've split atleast 60 cords with it, probably more....

Last edited:
A friend of mine has one. Its good for what it was designed for...a few cords a year. With proper maintenance and a little judicious re-inforcing here and there it should be able to do more. All the basics are there...just not enough iron where there should be.

bottlefed89 said:
I'm not a big MTD Fan, but I bought a used one out of the paper a few years back for $400. I've split atleast 60 cords with it, probably more....
what model was this? can you post pic's

thanks,

I bought one 3 years ago and would do it again . If it was junk believe me I would be the first to say so . I do 40 to 50 face cords a year .

jlaplant said:
I bought one 3 years ago and would do it again . If it was junk believe me I would be the first to say so . I do 40 to 50 face cords a year .

if i remember correctly, that was about the time that MTD bought out Troy-bilt, so you might actually have one of the real Troy-bilt splitters.

I have a Yard Machines (MTD) splitter that I have used to split well over 100 cords of wood in the the last two years and I am very pleased with it. I bought the 26-ton, 6 HP unit slightly used on eBay for about 2/3 the cost new. It has worked very well and had a minimum of problems. Although I would have loved to have a Timberwolf, I just couldn't afford the price.

spliters

i got a mtd splitter 4 years ago 20 ton 5 hp i split red elm, oak, and anything else with it i love it. haven't found anything it wont split yet larman

larman said:
i got a mtd splitter 4 years ago 20 ton 5 hp i split red elm, oak, and anything else with it i love it. haven't found anything it wont split yet larman

And as long as you paid an MTD price you should be happy. Unfortunately, MTD leaves the Troy-bilt, White or Cub Cadet sticker on the machine, charge the premium price and fill it full of MTD quality.

Latest posts

Back