Truck Bed Side Rails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upsnake

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok picture time everybody. :) :blob2:

I have tried searching over and over and not having much luck find examples of side rails. I am going to look at my first truck on wed, a 96 F-250 long bed.

I remember seeing somebody's on here not too log ago that had nice looking stained wood that if I recall correctly they used a router and had a removable wood tailgate.

I want to build some rails that look nice and just wondering what other people have. So a chance to share some ideas/ show off your setup.

Thanks Guys.

I don't use sideboards on mine, so sorry. :msp_sad: But a guy I know used aluminum bleacher seats he got from a demo job he did. It actually looked pretty good. I will try to get a pic from him, but something to think about.

Hmmm maybe I won't need rails. How much wood do you normally get in the truck?

Just figured it would help :)

May Have Been Mine

I made my side rails several years ago and use them today on a smaller truck than yours--Ford Ranger XLT:
CottonWoodLoad1.jpg

They still work beautifully. I suggest that you not build them up too high because I can still load and unload mine with them on. If they go over a foot, you will have to remove them before unloading from the side. Even if only 8" high, you still add quite a bit of capacity to your load. Mine jumps nearly 30% in volume as I mound it up.

The back gate should always be removable:
TruckSideboards4.jpg

I used 3/8" steel pins for this joinery, similar to a loose hinge, and added a hardwood knob on top to help pull them out. I made my rails with 4/4 ash hardwood and built them up as needed. The posts are 8/4 and drop into the side panel wells. I rarely remove them--perhaps once a year to slap on a coat of varnish on the posts and the rails. Note that the posts are bolted to the side rails, so they come apart as a unit.

TruckSideboards3.jpg

When loading the truck, I place the back gate right behind the back window for protection. Frankly, I have no idea how I got along without them.

Last edited:
Wood Doctor, your truck was the one that I was thinking about I just couldn't remember whose it was. Nice job on the rails.

If i put something on there, I want it to look decent. I searched google and some of them where just plywood slapped up there, didn't look so good, in my opinion at least. hahah

Wood Doctor, your truck was the one that I was thinking about I just couldn't remember whose it was. Nice job on the rails.

If i put something on there, I want it to look decent. I searched google and some of them where just plywood slapped up there, didn't look so good, in my opinion at least. hahah
Plywood is the pits when it comes to side rails for several reasons. First, it splinters when you use it and that's really a hazzard. Second, it weathers lousy and puckers. Third, it looks cheap. Fourth, it's a mess to work with. Frankly, I hate the stuff.

Stick with ash, oak, hard maple, hickory, cherry, or yellow birch. These are tough as nails. Ash is probably the easiest to work with and the cheapest around here. That's why I used it. If you have to use softwood, consider Douglas fir. Doug fir is strong and light, but be prepared for splintering and dealng with knots.

Note that you do not need "2 by" thickness when working with hardwoods. 4/4 is a hair over 3/4" thick, and that's probably strong enough. If you have three wells in the panels, use all three for the posts. I had only two, and that's all I needed for a 6' box. Bolt the posts to the rails with carriage bolts as shown in my Pics, counter boring for the washers and nuts, and get rid of all sharp corners and edges. That back pinned joint to the back rail is darned important. Spend some time on it. :msp_wink:

haven't built them yet, but.....

I was thinking of small cedar logs ripped/milled in half, with the round side out, so the side rails looked a little log cabin-ish. Like two high. Just for grins... Cedar because it is tough enough and naturally rot and bug proof, kinda sorta, the red cedar around here anyway, not western white cedar. That stuff is a bumblebee magnet...

I made my side rails several years ago and use them today on a smaller truck than yours--Ford Ranger XLT:
CottonWoodLoad1.jpg

When loading the truck, I place the back gate right behind the back window for protection. Frankly, I have no idea how I got along without them.

Well, don't think you are going to get a nicer example than this, good work.

After seeing that beautiful set of rail I almost didn't post mine:

f350-1995-4x4-crewcab.jpg

It may be ugly, but before you mock me, let me explain:

- A 4x4 F350 sits too high to work from the sides anyway, and the extra height really helps at times. With a 1 ton truck (or the OP 3/4 ton) the extra height is useful.

- I used PT 5/4 board and have hit it pretty hard without breaking it.

- Used galvanized angle iron (used to hang garage doors etc.) to wrap 2 sides of the 2x2 posts - made them almost unbreakable.

- Used U bolts through the 5/4 boards to reduce the chance of popping a screw or bolt through the board.

I have a nice looking F-150 but if I'm hauling scrounged firewood I couldn't care less how attractive it looks. I just want something to do the job. If some stakes in the corners and some scrounged up plywood will do the job-- fine by me! I don't buy wood and what I accumulate is at as minimal expense as possible. Ugly is cheap.

Kensterfly -- While I agree cheap it good, if for a few extra dollars if i can make something that looks nice. (don't know if i can make something that looks as nice as Wood Docs but)... If you are going to do something mine as well do it the best you can. :)

Kensterfly -- While I agree cheap it good, if for a few extra dollars if i can make something that looks nice. (don't know if i can make something that looks as nice as Wood Docs but)... If you are going to do something mine as well do it the best you can. :)

Fair enough, Upsnake. Truth be told, I don't have the skills or the tools to do much fancy work with wood. And I don't begrudge those who do, or who want go a little fancier. We all have different priorities.

However, I do like to look, so when you get your rig all set up I'd love to see it!

Cheers,
Ken

I hope i didn't come across in a accusing manner, I didn't mean to but as I looked at my post again I can see how it could be read that way. :)

I don't have a truck yet, I am going to go look at one tomorrow. If it looks good I will have one tomorrow if not the search continues. Hahah. :) Once / If i do anything i will be sure to post some pics. :)

Lordy, Upsnake. You didn't say anything at all that offended me. I know that sometimes it's hard to know how to take something that is said in written form. Anything in writing is subject to the interpretation of the reader and I've learned the hard way that sometimes what I have written is taken the wrong way. But I don't think anyone on this message board bears any ill will to anyone else on the board, even when they strongly disagree with something.

And I wasn't even disagreeing with you. I was just saying that our needs and priorities are different.

Cheers!

Ken

i had a set made for my gooseneck 4 years ago made from hedge. my freind milled the lumber and i will say it was tough as nails and weathered well... the guy who bought the trailer wanted them with it ....i will be making another set for my flat bed soon...the older they get the harder it gets...plus i tend to like the color when completed..

Latest posts

Back